Gibson Brands Forums

Hairline thin cracks in SJ 200 crown inlays

JuanCarlosVejar

I've seen it quite a bit - on all makes of guitars - usually vintage age instruments. Real shell or abalone inlays are made from thin (.030 - .060" thick)slabs of real sea shell - Even inlaid they are fragile and over time and play will crack - Sometimes a piece gets cracked during installation- I've seen enough of those... I don't find it particularly disturbing - sort of a character thing the instrument acquires over time. We've all learned to forget ( or neglect) the pain of the first ding that happens to a guitar. I'd probably overlook it if the guitar pleases you or you're not willing to part with it for repair.

But if this is a new instrument and you think it may be a warrantied condition (Made it to you with the crack undetected, etc.) I'd see what the seller or manufacturer has to say. In any event best of luck!

thanks guys :)

nah It doesn't bother me ...

I was just wondering :D

and yeah It has a some dings and scratches but I don't care I like it that way ...

And I guess It's just going to get more as time passes I've played her alot for almost two years now

and she looks probably 7 or 8 years old at least because of the amount of play I have given :) .

anyways thanks :D

Hi JC,

I have had the MOP crack on my past J-200(s) a few times,always on the bridge bars.As I've always had the 4 bar MOP only,(and will only buy that style bridge 200)it has happened there.Not one particular inlay,just that I recall seeing one bar cracked right in the middle,side to side,which you could feel with your finger.Not something anyone else would notice,but I have been known to stare at my git box,especially the J-200.A thing of beauty it is,and in the morn with the right sunlight on the flamed sunburst.....a true icon of guitar design.The J-200 is just interesting to look at,even non-players I've been around will pause,heard "gee wish I could play guitar"more than once when checking it out.Almost as if it is doubly gifted,such a thing of craftsmanship and beauty is also totally functional.Makes me glad I learned to play.

A thing of beauty it is,and in the morn with the right sunlight on the flamed sunburst.....a true icon of guitar design.The J-200 is just interesting to look at,even non-players I've been around will pause,heard "gee wish I could play guitar"more than once when checking it out.Almost as if it is doubly gifted,such a thing of craftsmanship and beauty is also totally functional.Makes me glad I learned to play.

I hear ya, torca. They're pretty wonderful guitars, both visually and aurally.

yeah I think nothing will ever stop me from playing this guitar ...

I hope one day it looks as beat as willie nelson's trigger :).

when I am old I still want this guitar to be with me .And I will want to be buried with it :D

I love it to death and wouldn't trade any other guitar or 1 million bucks for it .

This guitar is just special in everyway...

thanks to all you :D

Archived