Gibson Brands Forums

pickguard starting to lift off

sandy2

I had that happen on two of my guitars over the last few months. On my Garrison G40, which is around ten years old, it's lifted probably 4-5 times (just a bit along a bottom corner) since i first got it. I press it back down and it stays for months and months, then it might do it again. It's never been noticed by anyone but me. Naturally, I would notice it first, but you can't see it if you're not looking for it....the original guard,.......Also, my HD28 guard has an edge that raised-up a little bit. Noticed it last week. I pressed it down and haven't noticed anything else sincde then......I've heard that humidity can play a role in it. Not problems with my other guitars....Hope your's stays down so you don't have to replace it. Having the edges raise-up really is a nusuance

Thanks for your replies. I also press it back down and it stays there for a couple of days and then pops back up again. It's not a real problem other than just being annoying. I live in Southern California so I don't think that humidity is the problem. I'm looking for a permanent solution to this. I suppose I could take it back to the dealer for repair but I was hoping there was an easy way to take care of this myself. I'd like to fix it myself but I want to be sure to use the correct glue.

thanks again,

Sandy

Hi Sandy2!

Glue is not the way. I would recommend this product

www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/Pickguard_Adhesive_Sheet.html

You will have to remove the PG and start again. If your PG is warped, consider a new one

There are several topics on this matter, try a search to see what others have experienced.

Bottom line:

Use the 3M product gibson themselves use if you wanna stick it back on. Never use any other type of glue, that might ruin your finish.

I agree with Ponty - Removing the pickguard should be considered because both glued surfaces would have to be cleaned of any residue from the original adhesive (most likely the sheet product Ponty mentioned). Gibson places their pickguards over a finished top - most mild liquid adhesives (Titebond, Elmer's, etc.) won't adhere properly and the ones that will (epoxies, gorilla glue, etc) will bond it too aggressively - the repaired area might stick really well so that if you wish to remove the pickguard in the future you'll have a heck of a time getting the glued portion off without carving up your top.

If a direct replacement is available I'd buy one - unfortunately the act of removing the guard almost always damages the guard or distorts it's shape somewhat. Many are available with the new adhesive sheet in place.

That's the ideal way but if you wish to re-adhere the loose portion use the sheet adhesive mentioned above - a small piece under the loose part may stick it down temporarily.

You can heat the lifting portion of the guard carefully with a hairdryer. Then lift it up a bit and clean that portion with some naphta. It will clean up the glue residue without damaging the finish or the guard. Then cut a bit of the 3M double sided adhesive and slide it under the tip. This way you dont have to remove the whole guard.

Lars

Lars, everyone,

thanks for the tips on repairing my pickguard. Since my guitar is only 2 1/2 years old, I'm going to take it in to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty. I don't want to take the whole pickguard off and remount it, and I'm not confident enough to use the 3M adhesive paper. thanks to all for your ideas.

sandy

I'm late, but I didn't want to let this discussion go by without a reminder that your pickguard coming loose can be a very good thing!

In the bad old days, when pickguards were stuck down good and tight, shrinking pickguards cracked tops. They're called "pickguard cracks" for a reason, and most old Gibsons -- not just Gibsons, of course -- have them. Nowadays, the idea is to use an adhesive which is weak enough that the pickguard lets go rather than cracking the top. An unfortunate consequence of this is that they also come loose under other sorts of stress, like when the top geometry changes due to humidity or when the edge catches on something. So, it's annoying when this happens, but it's an easy fix and much better than the alternative.

So it's a feature, not a bug.

-- Bob R

So it's a feature, not a bug.

Yes indeed. Especially compared to the days when Martin would glue the pickguard directly to the top before the instrument was finished. For years I kept a careful watch on the curling edges of my 00-18's pickguard. Luckily, it pulled away cleanly wherever it lifted, but many tops did not survived this process intact.

Hi guys , I signed up here to try and sell my 1953 J 185 but I have to have 10 posts to add a post in the sales section so here is #1

You don;t know anything about valuation of acoustics do you?

Email me on revinc@gmail.com if you are interested and I can send photo's/serials etc

Many thanks!

darin

Archived