Gibson Brands Forums

Tell me about Luthier's Choice AJ: Madi/Adi

sternfan

I have a good chance to score an impeccable Madi/Adi luthier's choice woods Madi/Adi. I have not had a chance to play one but, given the specs and the price, I think I have to take a chance (at least I can try it for 10 days before returning it if I don't like it).

If you have one, did you A/B it vs. something else? Why did you select it?

If you could have had one but passed, why did you do so?

I currently have a several small bodies and a 45TV. The long scale and wood selections on this guitar look rather ideal to me. Would love to know if there's any "downside" to these. For example: when I play a D 28Marquis I get too much bass and not enough evenness in sound. Will that happen with one of these you think? Another thing is, while I love my 45 for playing alone, I find that it gets too "blended" when I play with others. I'm thinking the AJ will be rather distinctive in a set that includes a Martin, Taylor, and Santa Cruz.

Just looking for thoughts...

Thanks!

I just bought a Mad/Red Spruce AJ. 1 of 20... I tryied it at the Store... I didnt like the other Guitars chiming in.. I brought it Home and playred it... I was Sold on it... Everything on the guitar is real Nice... Sounds like a AJ should...

I dont know if there much out there to compare with this... But I think... the AJ I bought , is way better than amid to newer D45... Ive had many of those... the AJ just has more bark... the Neck feels like a late 30s...

I have a 2007 AJ with Madi/Adi. Mine is called AJ Supreme, not Luthier's Choice, but I think it is essentially the same guitar. Mine does have an ebony bridge and fingerboard, but I don't think that is significant enough in the big scheme of things. I took a chance about a year ago and bought it unplayed over the net. It had sufferred a broken headstock, which kept the price down. It is now my favorite guitar and the repaired headstock can hardly be seen. I also have a a J-45TV, a Martin D-45 Marquis, as well as a Martin D-18GE. To me the AJ is the perfect balance between the Martin bassy tone and the somewhat "thinner" sounding J-45TV. The guitar is very, very clear and defined across all strings.

The AJ is louder and more chimey sounding than the J-45TV. It might even be a little louder than the Martins. I often say that my J-45 is so dry sounding it sounds like walking on twigs and branches in a forrest that has not seen any rain for months. This is a very cool tone indeed, but not one I would like in a "do-it-all" kind of guitar. The AJ, on the other hand, is more versatile and better described as lush with a lot more complexity. If the 45 is a small country church, the AJ is an medival cathedral [biggrin]

If you like some qualities of the Martin Marquis/GE dreads, but want a more even and defined tone, the AJ could be for you. To me, it is the Gibson for those of us who cheat with the competition in Nazareth once in a while.

Lars

My AJ (Luthier's Choice) is also an '07, but in Amazon Rosewood/Adi. I really like it and it's clubby neck. I agree that is has some "Martinesque" character but it has it's own voice. I took it in to one of Ren's visits locally three years ago and he rembered the wood batch! Hard to say what the Amazon imparts but the Adi top definitely makes a difference!

Hard to go wrong with a 10 day trial; you're out shipping if it does not speak to you. Best of luck!

Archived