Gibson Brands Forums

How's your action?

daveinspain

Here's the thing, super low action makes a guitar very comfortable and easy to play but seems to me you loose some tonal quality. With a slightly higher action chords seem to sound fuller and ring out longer. What say you?

IMHO, it's subjective; High, or higher action, due to whatever reason, ie, on purpose, bad neck bow, choice, etc, can make it seem, or, actually,

harder to play a guitar.....The result is, the actual result of these guitar conditions...Add into this mix, string guages...Hmmmm..........

Throw into this mix, low action without lowering the pickup height, and you have so-called " Tone Loss." When a guitar is " hard to play "

because of it's action, I trust it's due to it's intent to be hard to play....THIS AFFECTS TONE IN A POSITIVE INTENTIONAL WAY....IMHO.....

Myself, I prefer nice low action, and I can be as smooth as I want, and as sloppy as I intend it to sound....And my tone is superb..................

Kinda meaning, bad action with heavy strings, once mastered, can create great tone.....It can be done with low action and thin strings......

It takes experience and talent..............Kids always ask about 'SLASHTONE'.....Damn, dead mice have SLASHTONE.............

The important factor with me is to get absolutely no fret-buzz whatsoever all the way from the first to the 22nd fret. That dictates how I'll set my action.

Neck set-up (fretwork, nut and relief) is, therefore, absolutely crucial to get the lowest action with this condition attached.

As far as I've noticed as long as there is no fret-buzz there should be no loss of tone, nor of sustain.

P.

I think the first thing you have to look at is how straight you can adjust the neck. If the frets are level and you can set it as straight as an arrow, then you can lower the action some without buzzing. Also adding relief to the neck for most is a given, but I think you lose some tone quality's with to much relief.

For my SG I have the neck as straight as I can get it by sighting down the neck. My action on both the E, e are 3/64" on the 12th fret. But I've also lowered the nut just a bit as well.

I don't even get any action any more....

Actually, I'm pretty heavy handed, but I still like the action relatively low, (for an acoustic).

New 'Bird is getting higher and higher.... but I don't want to get it set up 'til it's like 6 months old.

It IS getting to sound better and better by the day!

you stole my god dam question, GrRrRrRR FEEL MY RATH!!!... like it? no... didn't think so.

But yeah, my point, and in general I think people agreed when I posted. Most people think low action is the way to go, but for me, the highest the action can go without making the tips of your fingers bleed is the way forward.

If 1 is literally lying on the frets, and 10 is as high as your guitar will let you put it, I like it at 7.75ish (oh yes accuracy). I don't mind the extra oomph required, I actually like it, worth it for the sustain and lack of buzz.

Archived