Gibson Brands Forums

SG Std Bass V SG Reissue Bass 4

69tele

I'm like you, I've seen so many different pics. I know for sure, the SG Std. Faded Bass has the dots on the board, the head has a gold logo. The SG Std. head does have the Mother Of Pearl logo and holly. I thought the true reissue had gold tuning keys, and gold pick up covers. I don't think it had the trapezoid inlays, as the SG Std. / Heritage Cherry bass. I think a lot of dealers are using the reissue term from before. The Gibson number for the SG Std. / Heritage Cherry, trapezoid inlays, and Mother Of Pearl logo and holly, is BASGHCCH1. That's right off the production card that came with my 2011 SG Std. The SG Std. shown here on the site of the Gibson USA Basses is what I've got.

DSC_0519.jpg

thanks ..well i went safe and ordered an SG Std Bass this morning, still be nice to know what the differences are other than the dots and headstock inlays

YOU DID WHAT? Just kidding. Did you order the SG Std. Faded, or Heritage Cherry? Either one is great. They both have the same pups, and electronics. The Heritage Cherry is just a bit more dressed up. A good solid hard shell case comes with both also. Who did you order it through?

LOL good one.. i've ordered a standard in heritage cherry from www.dv247.com (i'm in Europe)

been a j-bass player for quite some time so this is going to be a big change !

Outstanding. A very good move. Please post some pics when you SG Std. arrives. How long is your wait for the Gibson?

I went on to the www.dv247.com site and looked at the SG Std. They are showing the Mfg. number of the Heritage Cherry, but are using the photo of the SG Std. Faded. A lot of on line dealers are doing that. Why, I don't know. But the number like I said, is the Heritage Cherry, Trapezoid Inlays, and Mother Of Pearl logo, and Head. [thumbup]

69tele, you'll have to post some pix when it arrives!

I'm pretty excited - I just ordered an SG Standard bass this morning from Sweetwater, & it should be here on Thursday. I was told mine was built in July, and it has the gloss cherry finish, trapezoid inlay & crown peghead.

I've been playing bass for more than 30 years now, and I never appreciated short-scale Gibson basses until recently. I've always played long-scale basses, and gravitated towards the Chris Squire/Geddy Lee type of treble-heavy bass tone, but I just watched a Paul McCartney concert where one of his bandmates switched back & forth between guitar and bass (both were SG models), and both instruments sounded fantastic.

I plan on using mine mainly for classic rock & metal (it should sound fantastic on the Cream & Sabbath covers), and for those times where a bit more warmth & roundness of tone are called for. I'm really looking forward to hearing it through my SansAmp VT pedal - that pedal has breathed new life & fire into my Rickenbacker basses, and I expect the SG will benefit from it as well.

thanks guys should have it this week I hope

this is the link and I also re-confirmed by email that it is the std with the glossy finish

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-bass-guitar-heritage-cherry--64013

where did you see the faded oic gsgbass ?

Superdick, seems like we both pulled the trigger this week !

I also normally play a long scale jazz bass, the marcus miller model which is trebly and similar to the geddy lee (both made in japan too)

MM Bass

so a night and day difference between these two basses, I also have a SG 61 RI so will make a nice set :-)

I use an Ashdown Five Fifteen amp on stage which goes thru a bass pod to the PA

I makes me very satisfied seeing two more smart and sensible bass players going to The Gibson SG Std. I've been playing for 42 years. In 1970 bought a 1969 EB0. From then on used both Fenders, and Gibsons.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-sg-reissue-bass-guitar-heritage-cherry--36996 This shows the reissue.

If you don't mind I'll clue you in on the serial numbers of your basses. 9 digits. First digit is the year,(in two segments) The 5th digit is the second part of the year. Then the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are the day of the year. The 6th digit is what batch or run of the day it came from. (they go from number 001-699, then start a new batch in the same day). The first batch of the day starts at 0. The last 3 digits is the actual number of the bass or guitar in that particular batch.

example, 102110500 10211 this part of the sn. shows the year 11 (2011) the 1st and 5th digit. 021 is the 21st day of the calendar year. January, 21.

0 is the first batch or run of that day. (the 6th digit). 500 is the telling you that this is the 500th bass or guitar on that day, from the batch it was in on that day.

On your Inspection card, it will have the date your bass or guitar was inspected and put in it's case. example, mine is (10551), a Feb. 24, 2011 bass. 3 Days off of my Feb. 21, birthday. The card shows it was cased on March 30, 2011.

When you guys get your SG Std.'s in, post a lot of photos. One thing nice about the finishes, they're all different, and you can see the grain of the wood. [thumbup]

Superdick, seems like we both pulled the trigger this week !

I also have a SG 61 RI so will make a nice set :-)

Great minds think alike - I just bought a Robby Krieger 50th Anniversary SG a few weeks ago, and I was thinking what a nice set the SG Bass & Krieger SG will make...

th_kriegersg004.jpg th_kriegersg003.jpg th_kriegersg001.jpg

Great minds think alike - I just bought a Robby Krieger 50th Anniversary SG a few weeks ago, and I was thinking what a nice set the SG Bass & Krieger SG will make...

th_kriegersg004.jpg th_kriegersg003.jpg th_kriegersg001.jpg

Real nice, congrats on the R.K. SG. I'm waiting for D'addario to get their new bass Nylon Tapewound strings more available on the market. Those are going on my SG Std. I've used them on Fender J, and P basses, and love them. [thumbup]

Archived