Gibson Brands Forums

Changed Caps on my LP and SG

Riffster

I bought 5 sets of NOS Russian K40Y-9 caps, 0.022uf for the bridge and 0.015uf for the neck and what a difference, especially when using the volume and tone knobs.

Each set ended up costing $10 average shipped directly from Russia and they all measured pretty close to their nominal values.

The caps on my SG were blue and half the size of the cheap ceramics that I had seen before. Why does Gibson put ¢1 capacitors on a nice guitar?

I also replaced the fake bumblebees on my R8, that are not only fake but both measured 0.024uf+

DSCF1876.jpg

Yup good quailty caps are the way to go..I have an 1959 original 0.22 BB cap in my Explorer and it sounds incredible...Also have some Luxe Bee's in my Trad that sounds great too..It's amazing what a cap change can do for your tone, and what's even more amazing is that Gibson is using such sh!t caps in the first place..(I mean seriously look at those blue things? lol) :rolleyes:

Yea, Luxes were/are using these Russian caps covered in bumblebee style plastic so you know what I am talking about.

I should have placed a penny next to the caps for reference. The Russian caps are not that big at all, the blue caps are tiny, and I mean tiny.

Archived