Gibson Brands Forums

Help Date My Grandfathers Vintage SG Standard?

CamTheMan123

post-35506-064666600 1315445331_thumb.jpgCan any fellow SG lovers accurately date my Grandfathers 1960's SG? He is positive he purchased in early 1968 as new from a music store in Brooklyn New York. all 1960s fullface pickguard SG's that ive seen have "Witch hat knobs" but this one does not. (and it is 100% original) could it be a late 1965? thats what he was told by a friend, but i get the feeling it is one of the very first fullface SG's. any idea on its value? (dont worry, id never sell it) thanks!!! (oh, and I also included a picture of him with his band "Just Four" back in early 1968. He is the one with the hat, and this is literally less than a week after he bought it.)Let there be rock!post-35506-099027500 1315445652_thumb.jpg

post-35506-064666600 1315445331_thumb.jpgCan any fellow SG lovers accurately date my Grandfathers 1960's SG? He is positive he purchased in early 1968 as new from a music store in Brooklyn New York. all 1960s fullface pickguard SG's that ive seen have "Witch hat knobs" but this one does not. (and it is 100% original) could it be a late 1965? thats what he was told by a friend, but i get the feeling it is one of the very first fullface SG's. any idea on its value? (dont worry, id never sell it) thanks!!! (oh, and I also included a picture of him with his band "Just Four" back in early 1968. He is the one with the hat, and this is literally less than a week after he bought it.)Let there be rock!post-35506-099027500 1315445652_thumb.jpg

The fullface batwing pickguard didn't appear until late '66 early '67. Looks like reflector knobs, certainly not uncommon today but I'm not so sure on a 60's model.

• 3 weeks later...

Great sg man!!!!! [thumbup] Found this sg, it's a 1967.Looks simmilar1967hellzfire.png

Holy Sh*t.... That is EXACTLY like his!! I cant tell for sure, but i think the one you posted even has the nylon Bridge sadles, Sweet!! His isnt in perfect shape, but that one is... damn.. is it for sale?

Probably a '66 or early '67. Reflector knobs, nickel hardware, and it looks like an old style trc. What is the serial #. As pointed out earlier check the pot codes.

Super nice guitar.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay, I can't quite make out the Serial No. Anyone want to take a gander at the date?

It either reads: (last 6 numbers, if there are more that are rubbed off)

I can't quite tell, do either of them check out? also: it does have what appears to be the extended heel. thanks! :D

That's really cool....you must never sell that, I don't now the value but because it was your grandfathers it would be priceless ( I sound like a commercial) cause that's the one he touched and played and that's something you could never replace.

That's really cool....you must never sell that, I don't now the value but because it was your grandfathers it would be priceless ( I sound like a commercial) cause that's the one he touched and played and that's something you could never replace.

+1. You have about the coolest family heirloom you can get !! Enjoy it for a lifetime and pass that treasure on to future generations in your family! Good luck and have fun finding everything about it's history that you can. Does your Grandfather remember what shop he bought it from?

And...Just LOOK, at those lovely wide body, and deeper (between the horns and neck) bevels!

(In the photo, of the OP holding his Granddad's SG.)

The bottom bout bevel, is nearly to the pick-guard edge. The top horn bevel is Pure SEX!

Not like the puny bevels, that too many of them have, these days! [flapper] Now THAT's an SG!![biggrin][thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

And, to think I had one, just like it, at one time! [crying][crying][crying]](*,)

CB

Archived