Gibson Brands Forums

Which one would you keep?

erikro

Here is the situation. Bought both this weekend but can only keep one.

SG Classic - sounds better, nice wide neck, one piece body, perfect out of box

60's tribute - beautiful guitar, faster neck, needs set up, 2 piece body, more comfortable to play

My question is do both of these guitars have the same p-90's and wiring? I want to make sure that it isnt a set up issue that is making them sound different. The SG sounds very clean which I like. The LP not so clean. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Erik

Hello Erikro! Personally I would choose the SG Classic, because it's a better looking, upper class model compared to the Tribute. Although if Your 60's Tribute was a 50's Tribute I would choose the LP. As far as wiring is concerned they both feature the same components (see Specs on Gibson.com). And yes, they shall sound different: the SG has a solid mahogany body, while the LP has a chambered mahogany body with a maple top. I did try out the 60's Tribute SG (I had one on pre-order, but cancelled it) and it sounded awful, completely different to my 50's Tribute LP, which is very jazzy clean, but bites hard with overdrive. Cheers... Bence

That would be a personal preference, both are fine instruments. As for myself, I like the LP 60's tribute.

No doubt about that! Anything with "Gibson" logo on it, is a great sounding instrument - only the players' needs are what different! Completely agree that it would be a personal preference, so You should decide this by Yourself. Don't let different opinions confuse You (like mine :)). Play them both, and keep them both if You can. But if You really have to decide between the two, choose what feels closer to You.

its personal i guess but i would go for the 60's tribute and get it set up ..but thats just me ultimately its up to you and how the guitars feels..if it has a fast neck get it set up and the tone right ..it should be a good guitar..P90s should have a lovely clean sound the P90 i used to have had beautiful clean tone through vintage valve amp

Gibson got back to me today and told me the electronics on both guitars are identical. Also, upon closer examination the LP is actually a 5 piece body. I also think the finish is already starting to wear off a little where my arm rests on the guitar. I only got it two days ago. This is making my decision much easier. I think in the long run it will be much easier to find a 5 piece LP tribute than it will a 1 piece SG Classic.

5 piece!? Ouch, I've seen 5 piece Epiphone's, but not Gibson's. In this case, I would go with the SG. Any more than 2 pieces in the body, and I will walk away regardless of how it sounds and plays. Just personal preference for a $1000.00 guitar.

For me playing a guitar successfully is about being comfortable and relaxed. If I am always re-positionig myself to get comfortable, I will get tired of a guitar really quick.

I was originally an SG guy, but being as neck heaver as they are, that wore off really quick.

Archived