Gibson Brands Forums

Hum problem with new Epi SST-Studio

LEE1951

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct spot, but I have a new Epi SST-Studio that has an annoying hum problem when plugged into either of my two guitar amps. I KNOW it is the guitar because I've swapped out cables, amps and other guitars. The hum disappears when I touch the plate around the output jack with my finger; pretty much impossible to play a gig using that method of hum elimination. I called my very competent guitar tech and without having it in front of him to look at he suspects poor shielding in the guitar. The hum is much less noticeable if I plug straight into the PA mixer, but sometimes I like using my amp. I know others have had this problem and wonder if anyone can give me a solution to fixing it. Love the guitar other than the hum. HELP!!

I have a new Epi SST-Studio that has an annoying hum problem when plugged into either of my two guitar amps. I KNOW it is the guitar because I've swapped out cables, amps and other guitars. The hum disappears when I touch the plate around the output jack with my finger;

Lee, Welcome to the forum!

I don't have a SST so I don't know how much help this will be.

First, an obvious ground problem. Shielding? Possible. Does the guitar have the hum when set for both amp or headphone?

Loose ground wire on jack itself? Very common problem and easy to check and fix.

How old is the guitar and where did you get it from? If it is new it should be fixed or replaced at no cost to you.

As to the shielding well, unless you got an oddball, they are all made the same. This would mean that most everyone with that model would also have the same problem. I'm not saying that that could not be the case. It just doesn't sound likely.

Other consideration is the battery run Preamp by Shadow and NanoFlex pickup by Shadow. Even if I had the guitar in front of me I'm not sure I would know how to test and diagnose them properly.

Best I can say for now is that if it were mine I would carefully unscrew the jack plate and see if the ground wire on the jack was loose. After that it would be back to the store or off to the shop.

Willy

• 4 months later...

Hello:

I was wondering if this problem has been resolved with the hum. Also, if you still have this guitar could you tell me the dimensions of the lower bout, upper bout and body length?

Thanks,

Jay Cunningham

I'll have to check to see if the hum is evident in both headphone or normal setting. I DO know that other Epi SST owners have had the same problem since I've seen this mentioned before elsewhere. BTW I purchased this guitar NEW a month ago.

Hello:

I was wondering if this problem has been resolved with the hum. Also, if you still have this guitar could you tell me the dimensions of the lower bout, upper bout and body length?

Thanks,

Jay Cunningham

I don't know if the OP resolved the hum but part of the reason was probably the total junk electronics fitted. I have the older (almost identical) model that was just called the "Chet Atkins" and I ripped all of the pre amp etc out and replaced it with something that worked. It sounds better and there's no hum. The models with the shoulder mount pots/knobs seem to be the worst of the bunch but they are mostly fitted with passive under saddle pickups which work fine without a pre amp. It's a shame the electrics were so poor because it's a good looking, well playing guitar.

As for sizes, mine measures

Lower Bout = 14 1/4"

Upper Bout = 10 1/4" (across the cutaway)

Body Length = 19 3/4"

• 7 years later...

Espero te encuentres bien, quisiera me ayudes, tengo una guitarra igual a la que le quitaron el jack del preamplificador por un sumbido como lo comentas, pero ahora la persona que te desmonta ya no esta y no tengo la idea de cómo conectar los cables, te seria muy complicado sacar el Jack de la tuya y tomar una foto de donde van los cables y enviarme a este correo marcoa_ojeda@hotmail.com, por tu respuesta y apoyo te agradesco.