Gibson Brands Forums

Cherry Red Explorer

PickyPick

Gibson Explorer has been on my mind now for 6 years now and as much as i would LOVE to buy an Epiphone Explorer. None of them appeal to me at all (looks and sound). And the Gibson Bug was starting to itch again. So, I have a question for you Epiphone Guys just simply because i hang around here so much, that i feel more comfortable here than asking the Gibson side of the thread.

1) Why doesn't Epiphone make Cherry? 1a) Why is all there hardware gold? (doesn't look right to me except for the Korina Explorer)

2) What is the Gibson 500T? I've never heard of it until i read the Specs of the Explorer

3) How heavy is an Explorer? I looked at some Pictures of the Explorer and Les Paul side by side... And that Lester is TINY compared to the Explorer (which essentially is a giant slab of Mahogany)

4) I've heard some people say the strap button is in the stupidest place possible. Which is true. But in other pictures i see it behind the neck joint, Like the SG. So where are the 2011 Explorer Strap buttons located?

Anyway hopefully i fill my Gibson/Explorer GAS. I love Epiphone but this time (first time too) It has failed to grab me like their other instruments would.

They can only make a certain amount of colors for each model. They certainly can't make every color for every model and keep the prices down.

But I'm pretty sure they did make a red explorer. Here's one right here ------> http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/msg/2532808477.html

Here's another one http://ksu.en.craigslist.org/msg/2521581081.html

1. That's just the way it is. If you want cherry red, you gotta go Gibson.

2. It's the standard Gibson ceramic-magnet pickup, if I remember correctly.

3. I've never run across an Explorer that was heavier than a Les Paul. It's got more area than an LP, but

it's a whole lot thinner. Usually a tiny bit thicker than an SG.

4. Epiphones have the button on top, Gibsons have it behind the heel. I like the Epi placement better. It doesn't matter where it is, Explorers WILL be slightly neck-heavy. But they do have a built in arm-rest on the back, so...

Hey thanks for answering all those questions in a single shot. I have to go try playing these 500T pickups ive only played the epiphones at the music shop. Didnt have enough money for the Gibson and i generally dont play guitars that i cant afford (incase something goes bad like i drop it)

I have a Gibson Explorer with the 498R/500T pickups and personally wouldnt change them. That 500 has plenty of growl and bite and the 498 in the neck doesnt get muddy to my ears like most neck pups do.Obviously tone is subjective and your mileage may vary. The only complaint I have about the Gibson Explorer are the frets they use. Very tall and narrow. I really do prefer the standard Epiphone type frets, whatever those are considered.

I have a Gibson Explorer with the 498R/500T pickups and personally wouldnt change them. That 500 has plenty of growl and bite and the 498 in the neck doesnt get muddy to my ears like most neck pups do.Obviously tone is subjective and your mileage may vary. The only complaint I have about the Gibson Explorer are the frets they use. Very tall and narrow. I really do prefer the standard Epiphone type frets, whatever those are considered.

I thought it was 496R... and im still saving up so i actually haven't touched the Gibson Explorer yet. and i didn't like the way Epiphone variation felt, and it wasn't just 1 guitar either the store had 2 in the same color and rest different. and all of them sorta had that unpleasant neck feeling. (Comes to show when Epiphone can be consistent however.)

They can only make a certain amount of colors for each model. They certainly can't make every color for every model and keep the prices down.

But I'm pretty sure they did make a red explorer. Here's one right here ------> http://miami.craigsl...2532808477.html

Here's another one http://ksu.en.craigs...2521581081.html

Those are both E-series guitars and not exactly Explorers. One is a "Beast" and the other in an "Evolution". They were both pretty low-end guitars and I wouldnt think they are all that comparable to the current explorers. Also, those were metallic red. The older, late 80's explorers came in metallic red as well. The Prophecy Futura comes in Black Cherry.

I don't know I don't think gibson actually updates their website a lot of stuff that is released or sold in stores don't apear on the main gibson site. As for the prophacy series I don't like any guitar from those series cause to me it looks too metal. I like classic design. So if I did get an epi I would have ripped off the pick up covers and changed it to silver hardware. Im very very picky.

I thought those got discontinued? Note that I can't see the current catalog because it f***s up my computer.

Yeah, maybe they did. I'm sure you can still easily find them, new even, if that is your flavor.

And yeah, that new catalogue format/program sucks BAD! Neither the online or offline versions work well at all. It seriously takes a good two minutes for it to gather itself and load one page. Hey, Epiphone, go back to the PDF format. Sure, its still sucky, but its better than the Yudu format. Seriously, it doesnt work right.

Nice Bigsby, HC. That looks really cool.

Maybe if I have time, I'll screencapture the 2011/12 catalogue and post it to the wiki in JPG form. I was going to try and do it here at work, but I have just a 17" CRT monitor. I have a 21" wide screen LCD at home that I can capture the entire page on. I'll time it to see how long I wait for page loads.

Getting the Epi Explorer would cost something like 500? Tone Pro Chrome bridge/Tailpiece combo ~$120, Gibson 496R and 500T about 300 together, Labor for installing pickups ~$100, Grover Chrome Locking tuner ~$70... so all this would exceed a grand. I'm Fairly Patient i would rather wait around a little longer and save up the extra ~200-300 dollars and go for the Gibson and not go through the hassle of changing stuff out. Just seems easier just out of the box and play... ^_^ although later down the road i might get the Korina Flying V... im in that phase where im really digging the odd shaped guitars

Archived