Gibson Brands Forums

Not a big U2 fan

Lotus

Certainly fits the Gibson Jumbo feel of the past week.

Nice song, however Im amazed how much top range Bono has lost in his voice. I saw Sting with the London Symphony Orchestra a few months back and was amazed how strong his voice was and his range. I reckon Bono should give Sting a call ..

Saw this in the television some weeks ago and appreciated it.

I'm not sure it surprises me if some top-vox is gone or worn during certain periods (let's hope it's just that). I mean he drives himself hard when singing and always had a tough program.

McCartney is another hard-drivin' vocalist, but where Harrison and Lennon - especially the first - would get hoarse pretty quick, Paul could/can do it forever.

I heard a '90's recording of him singing Kansas City, , , in Kansas and it totally blew my mind. Unbelievable strong.

Maybe some of you old cats remember Elton John had a throat operation long time ago. Mid80's or something. The newspaper stories back then said it would cost him his falsetto.

Don't know if that happened – in fact I haven't checked, neither heard his falsetto abilities in years – but he's still a singing wonder.

In the 80's Dylan drove himself down to a point where it sounded as if there was only a small spot behind the nose left to sing from. He came across as a mix between a mouse and a sheep, and it was a fan-test to take a whole concert. But he too regained power.

It's all about the combination of what mother nature gave you and technique. And knowing when to go on vacation.

By the way Lotus – (you know you and me have a hardcore Donovan lounge here). Are you aware of the fact Gibson created a J-45 Donovan at some point. Had the feeling I'd seen one on the Bay and wanted to get this confirmed here on the Board half a year back. Noone responded and I got insecure - was it just my imagination. . .

Now the the Gibsons Fabulous Flat-top Guitars book tells me it wasn't a fatamorgana. The cherryburst baby was born in 2002 and 02 only.

Guess very few remember.

Saw this in the television some weeks ago and appreciated it.

I'm not sure it surprises me if some top-vox is gone or worn during certain periods (let's hope it's just that). I mean he drives himself hard when singing and always had a tough program.

McCartney is another hard-drivin' vocalist, but where Harrison and Lennon - especially the first - would get hoarse pretty quick, Paul could/can do it forever.

I heard a '90's recording of him singing Kansas City, , , in Kansas and it totally blew my mind. Unbelievable strong.

Maybe some of you old cats remember Elton John had a throat operation along time go. Mid80's or something. The newspaper stories back then said it would cost him his falsetto.

Don't know if that happened – in fact I haven't checked, neither heard his falsetto abilities in years – but he's still a singing wonder.

as you get older you lose a bit too ...

warming up the vocal chords is important as a profesional singer but not many in Rock do that as least in the past .

In the 80's Dylan drove himself down to a point where it sounded as if there was only a small spot behind the nose left to sing from. He came across as a mix between a mouse and a sheep, and it was a fan-test to take a whole concert. But he too regained power.

It's all about the combination of what mother nature gave you and technique. And knowing when to go on vacation.

By the way Lotus – (you know you and me have a hardcore Donovan lounge here). Are you aware of the fact Gibson created a J-45 Donovan at some point. Had the feeling I'd seen one on the Bay and wanted to get this confirmed here on the Board half a year back. Noone responded and I got insecure - was it just my imagination. . .

Now the the Gibsons Fabulous Flat-top Guitars book tells me it wasn't a fatamorgana. The cherryburst baby was born in 2002 and 02 only.

Guess very few remember.

Neil young still sings great

Certainly fits the Gibson Jumbo feel of the past week.

Nice song, however Im amazed how much top range Bono has lost in his voice. I saw Sting with the London Symphony Orchestra a few months back and was amazed how strong his voice was and his range. I reckon Bono should give Sting a call ..

Going on 4 year tours like U2 does can't be good for the voice.

Plus I think lifestyle has something do with it. I can picture Bono smoking and drinking more than Sting.

Crosby, Nash & Young continue to sing like angels. S. Stills seem to have lost some highs and broadness, I won't theorize about why.

But notice that Young never – that means almost never because there are exceptions – overdrives or distorts his vocal. He can do it, but wisely spare himself. Opposite Lennon. From the start he needed to show us tough masculinity and wanted that dangerous edge to his expression - and man how we loved it.

Those stunts did cost him a fair amount of sore throats, , , and a lot of healing pastilles.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed it. I was a huge U2 fan when I was younger, then I drifted away for a few years. Now I really appreciate them again. If the voice changes as the years go by, so be it. Adapt and move on, he still sounds good.

I think they're a great band. They write well, perform with passion and I appreciate their activism on behalf of good causes and their willingness to put their reputation on the line calling out BS where they see it. Maybe that's why Bono's voice has suffered a bit. There's a lot of BS to battle!

Archived