Gibson Brands Forums

L6S Serial Question

Jeroenh1990

Hello,

I encountered a problem while trieng to determine the age of my L6S Deluxe.

It's serialnumber is stamped in the headstock (969062)

According to bluebookinc.com it has to be a 1968 model, though Wikipedia says that the L6S Deluxe was build between 1974 and 1979.

Though bluebookinc.com says that guitars from the 70's have " Made in USA" stamped. But mine doesn't.

I'm sure it's a L6S due to the shape of the guitar, 2 knobs (1x volume, 1x tone), a 3-way switch and the black humbucker covers.

Could anyone enlighten me?

Oh. Nevermind.

No L6-Sii of any kind in 1969, not no way, not no how. It was a Bill Lawrence guitar, and he didn't start working at Gobsin until 1972 or thereabouts.

Serial numbers are weird and were also re-used through the decades.

I don't recall mine being stamped, but then, it was never an issue in those days that anyone cared about, so I'd have no reason to remember that.

My two were great guitars, I do recall the Deluxe later now that I've looked at some pictures. I had no interest in them by then, mine had long been traded for something else.

Good luck with it.

rct

• 6 months later...

I just bought a used (duh) L6-S, and according to the seller it is a 1973 or 1975 but I am having a problem with the serial number. It is 8 digits and begins with 72. According to what I've read online it should be either 6 digits (for pre-75) or something along the lines of 00, 99, 06, etc. Any thoughts?

I'll post the full serial number when I get back home.

thanks,

mk333

The serial number is:

According to an on-line decoder it says that it is a 78.....Mine has three knobs, replaced pickups, and a three way switch...are there any product manuals or other ways to know what equipment/features mine would have originally had?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike or MK333 your L6 is like mine and has a 8 diget serial number so you use the 1st and 5th numbers and yours is a 1978 like mine,try the wikipedia page for info.This ppage may give you some info try it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_L6-S

Jeroena1990 are you sure that is your serial number.Without these first numbers this will narrow it down even more.

- From 1975-1977 the number is typically found on a decal on the back of the headstock. This should be an 8 digit number that can be dated by the 1st and 2nd digits as follows:

99 = 1975

00= 1976

06 = 1977

With the 2 knobs its not a custom so it has to be made after 73 and before 77 so that leaves it at 74 the way I figure. If it;s a bolt on neck its a 1974 midnight special and if its a neck through its a deluxe.

I think I got it all right more of a process of ilimination figuring this one out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have this one with serial 659508, so it is 1970-1972 based on my research, but I want to nail it down. I love this thing! The pickups are pretty hot. p.s. please do not give me **** about the stickers. I was in my 20s and played in a punk rock band when I bought this for $250.

Welcome here, nice guitar by the way. [thumbup]

Sorry for having to tell this, but up to now I wasn't able to nail down my own 70's L6-S which was later called Custom. Anyway, I am not too bothered about that.

Looking around for info on my '75 I found a site that has several pages of pics and specs and trivia on the L6-S models.

L6-S articles

The vintage ad at the top of the main page reads, "The Gibson L6-S. It's the best damn guitar you ever played."

Thanks for the link. Damn straight on the guitar. I was shocked at how awesome it is, and it looks so basic.

Maybe when I sell it, I should describe it as the "mystery guitar". Even though I've seen Paul Stanley, Robin Zander and Bob Mothersbaugh play these things, I say, "Gibson L6-S" and get nothing but blank looks. Or I've used it as a spare for shows, and had people ask, "What IS that?".

Welcome here, nice guitar by the way. [thumbup]

Sorry for having to tell this, but up to now I wasn't able to nail down my own 70's L6-S which was later called Custom. Anyway, I am not too bothered about that.

Ha. It is what it is. I had someone pick apart my 1968 SG Special on eBay so I stopped my auction and went to Gruhn Guitars in Nashville, who are the Gibson experts, and they verified that my guitar is what I said it was, so I'm out $50 because some eBay troll was telling me my description was wrong.

Maybe I should send my photos of the L6-S to Gruhn?

• 6 years later...
15 minutes ago, L6-S Deluxe said:

I have an L6-S Deluxe serial numbers have been sanded off is there anywhere else to find the serial number

Hello

The answer to your question is no, unfortunately.

However it's probably worth unscrewing the truss rod cover and control cavity cover to take a look just in case someone has put it on a sticker in there.

My 1st Gibson was a wine red L-6s Deluxe - I wish I still had it now, of course.