Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ti-Ti

In 1980 EA250

I agree on Gretsch even if it is not the sound I prefer (on the you tube Rockabilly single B side song I play on Black Telecaster Deluxe 72 mapple neck, I didn't know at that moment that such guitar will become collector). However, the EA sound with a good reverb and small echo chamber was really decent.

I remember that my EA250 was weak on neck attach, that was the reason I sell it as a third hand.

I have a EA250 and love the feel of the neck for playing but it goes out of tune really quickly. It has the tremolo bridge but is missing a screw and spring for the arm. I have been thinking of putting a trapeze tailpiece on it. Would this help with the tuning??

Long time ago the EA, however, the pb is not the trem if you don't use as I did in the pass. The neck is fragile, may you have an issue with the mechanics for tuning...

I have a EA250 and love the feel of the neck for playing but it goes out of tune really quickly. It has the tremolo bridge but is missing a screw and spring for the arm. I have been thinking of putting a trapeze tailpiece on it. Would this help with the tuning??

Ozigor, I haven't had a problem with the trem on mine affecting tuning, but as TiTi says, waggling that neck about can throw things out. I would check your nut too.

thanks vomer for the reply

i don't waggle the neck to be honest it just seems to go out of tune.

i would love to solve the problem as it doesn't make me want to play the guitar and i don't really want to sell it either.

what shouid i look for at the nut end? what would cause it to go out of tune??

Ti TI the tuners are original how could they be a problem and what could i do to fix it??

thanks vomer for the reply

i don't waggle the neck to be honest it just seems to go out of tune.

i would love to solve the problem as it doesn't make me want to play the guitar and i don't really want to sell it either.

what shouid i look for at the nut end? what would cause it to go out of tune??

Ti TI the tuners are original how could they be a problem and what could i do to fix it??

Have you ever put any lubrication in the string grooves at the nut? 'Nut Sauce' is the over the counter remedy, or you can shave some graphite off a soft pencil into each groove. Each string should pass smoothly through the groove during tuning or trem use.

The strings should ideally sit in a grooove which is neither too loose nor too tight. On 3-a-side headstocks, the groove should have a widening on the edge towards the tuner, and a slope down towards the tuner. The strings should sit with some of their height showing, up to half. I don't know if our DIY thread has anything on nuts, but there's plenty out there if you google, to get some pics of some of the things I'm talking about.

Issue of tune out is often not easy to solve.

First you have to make sure the the string can go easily on the nut and not suddenly !

I just love EA-250's. The feel of the neck is incredible, the outside radius is perfect. I own a couple and would like to have more. Anyone out there know where (other than eBay) to buy parts for these old girls? I am looking for neck plates.

I just love EA-250's. The feel of the neck is incredible, the outside radius is perfect. I own a couple and would like to have more. Anyone out there know where (other than eBay) to buy parts for these old girls? I am looking for neck plates.

• Upvote 1