Gibson Brands Forums

Multiple Pedals vs Integrated Boards

VinceS

I've got a POD HD500 that I've been having a lot of fun with. The combos seem enndless. I know some are not perfect but some are very close. I can use it late at night with some backing tracks and not wake up the wife. A definite plus! Any thoughts out there.

Over the years I've used hundreds of pedals, mainly Boss, MXR and Dod because they are truly indestructible but I always end up going back to my Boss GT-6! I've tried the GT8 and the GT10 but the GT6 is the one I go back to again and again. I've used one at probably around 500 gigs or so and it performs perfectly. Easy to set up and simple to use, no pedal dancing and no messing around with velcro or multiple power leads and patch leads. Most of my single pedals are now sold and I have a spare GT-6.

Of course when recording, tone is king and pedals can sound purer but on a stage...simplicity and ease of use does it for me every time. My SG into a Boss GT-6 into an amp on the clean channel, let the Sg and the Boss do the work and let the amp just make it louder!

Overall- I like combining really great pedals to get my tone. A high-quality analog overdrive pedal, which does one thing really well, beats out a decent sounding multi-fx unit. however, I will say that I really like the POD units for convenience and portability sake. Great for late night jams, and you can get some really usable tones from them.

I own the DigiTech RP1000's ancester, a 1991 RP-1.

I never could get rid of it, the fact that you can have 10 different sounds programmed on one patch makes it extremely useful on gigs.

However, it's old, bruised, battered, slow and isn't quite on par with today's standards. But that board served me very well.

I own pedals and use them on gigs, the RP-1 has been retired for a while now.

I definitely prefer the pedals for raw & traditional tone but in terms of practicability on gigs, you can't beat a multi effect. No need to hit 5 pedals in 2 secs to swap sounds, you gotta appreciate that.

I'll probably buy a RP1000 or a used Vox tonelab SE when I feel the need, just to have that practicability, especially on pop-mainstream-corpo gigs.

I have a Digitech GNX3 and love it. sounds are endless, but I will agree I do use my stand alone pedals every now and then. Just hate caring them all around.

you are right on that! multi-FX definitely have the edge when it comes to portability.

Archived