Gibson Brands Forums

Transcale String Buzz on certain frets

GuitarGeko

Transcale Guitar

Hi,

I am using 10s tuned to D standard without capo. I am experiencing fret buzz when I hold a string down at fret 1 to 12, certain strings even buzz when I hold them down at fret 14 or 15, especially when the strings are wounded. This is very annoying while playing with capo.

Yesterday I started to turn the truss rod counter clockwise - I hope this eliminates the buzzing. It seems to come always from the fret next to the fret I am playing. When I hold down the low D string at 1st and 17th fret, the gap between the 7th fret and the string seems quite narrow in comparison to the same gap on my Yamaha-Superstrat guitar.

If I am doing anything wrong... please tell me asap. I turn the truss rod one quarter of a full rotation daily and let it rest for 12 to 24 hours.

Greets

GuitarGeko

The fret buzz is disappearing slowly, if I hold strings down on the first fret it's not noticeable - but it is still on the rest of the fretboard.

The gap between the low D string and the 7th to 9th fret with the measuring method described in my last post now nearly reaches 1mm - which is too much as far as I know. If I lower the string action by adjusting the saddle, won't fret buzz occur again? Or will it not even affect the gap mentioned above?

---EDIT---

Fret buzz seems to be tolerable now (my other guitar is worse :P).

But I have got a new question now; the screws at the headpiece barely hold plain strings (as the high b- and e-string), so I am trying to find a solution for this but buying double-ball strings... has anyone tried to solder a second ball end on a single ball string?

Archived