Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup in j45

moej45

Last weekend I had a show and prior I plugged my new j 45 into the pa at my house just t play around. The pickup sounds decent....the stock bags element....BUT...I felt like it was heavier on the g string than others. Now I don't mean while playing really but more when palming the strings percussively. My style is pretty rhythmic and percussive and also I was getting some feedback issues. With limited time I just grabbed my trusty old blue DY88 and was fine. But just wanted to se what other people's experience has been with that pickup. I haven't had a chance to plug back in since I have 3 kids between the ages of 24 days and 5 yes old. Not a lot of "me" time!

My own J45 is fine where this is concerned

But you are dealing with a vibrating mass that will react to different frequencies and some frequencies will be accentuated and some dampened.

All guitars will be different as they are all made of different wood etc... and probably have some minor manufacturing differences and dimensions

If this really is a problem and its not down to playing style, then I would just use a graphic equaliser or a parametric eq to sort out the offending frequencies

Madman_Greg

I had a Baggs Element in my SWD. I don't tend to like under saddle pickups, so I took it out and replaced it with a Baggs active iBeam (sound board transducer). I've played it out and it sounds killer with no feedback issues.

My new SJ200 has a Fishman Ellipse Aura and I'm less than thrilled with it (customer service is brilliant however). I think all UST's suffer from that percussive pop when you hit the strings with your palm.

I had a Baggs Element in my SWD. I don't tend to like under saddle pickups, so I took it out and replaced it with a Baggs active iBeam (sound board transducer). I've played it out and it sounds killer with no feedback issues.

My new SJ200 has a Fishman Ellipse Aura and I'm less than thrilled with it (customer service is brilliant however). I think all UST's suffer from that percussive pop when you hit the strings with your palm.

Yeah....I figured it was the nature of that type of pickup. Ibeam might be going in

Archived