Gibson Brands Forums

My dad's 1954 Gibson Acoustic??? (need help)

apine

Hi -

I'm a real novice when it comes to guitars, but I've done some research on line and I have what I believe is a 1954 Gibson acoustic (FON X8891)...I don't really know which model it is.

My dad bought it for himself as a high school graduation present. It's in pretty good shape, but needs some repairs (tuning pegs are fragile, brittle and broken, probably needs a general "tune-up", peg to hold a strap at the bottom is missing, new strings, etc.).

My Questions:

1. What model is this?

2. Can you recommend a quality luthier in the northern New Jersey/New York City area who could restore this guitar to "original" condition.

3. I do not want to sell it...but any estimate for insurance value on this guitar? (in current condition? in restored condition?)

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Andrew

post-25608-061425500 1315694400_thumb.jpg

In late '54 the 45's went from thin to heavier inner structures (called bracing).

The thin braces are very attractive as they allow the spruce-top to vibrate freer. It also meant more fragile guitars, so handle with care.

And when you replace tuners, be sure you get the right type : White buttons like the ones it has now.

I wonder if you'd be better served by having the buttons replaced on the existing, original tuners - a good repair shop ought to be able to do that easily enough, or for that matter you could order them from Stewart-MacDonald or some other source. Or you could get drop-in replacements ... but I'd just replace the buttons if it was my guitar ...

Archived