Gibson Brands Forums

1974 gibson gospel.. bridge!

twentytwenty

oookay. so i bought a 74 gospel from (of all places) chile, on ebay.

the binding has held up really well and overall it's in pretty good condition.

apart from the bridge. it's cracked. from hole to hole there's a big split right through

the guts of the thing.

now, having never had any of the accoustics i've owned repaired (and not personally knowing too

many people who have know-how on the subject), what would be my best option to have this fixed?

will a bridge from another model fit well? if so, where would i find me one online?

should a luthier make a matching one from scratch perhaps?

i'd really appreciate some help but sorry, i don't have any photos and i can't take any until i get home in a few weeks!

-luke

oookay. so i bought a 74 gospel from (of all places) chile, on ebay.

the binding has held up really well and overall it's in pretty good condition.

apart from the bridge. it's cracked. from hole to hole there's a big split right through

the guts of the thing.

now, having never had any of the accoustics i've owned repaired (and not personally knowing too

many people who have know-how on the subject), what would be my best option to have this fixed?

will a bridge from another model fit well? if so, where would i find me one online?

should a luthier make a matching one from scratch perhaps?

i'd really appreciate some help but sorry, i don't have any photos and i can't take any until i get home in a few weeks!

-luke

It can be repaired, you just need to find a good luthier.

Where are you located?

Rob,

Opposite side of the country. Think NY to LA. It's a big place, Australia. (My Oz business associate is in Perth.)

New York to SF ain't too far.....just a 5-hour flight! (I gotta go to New York week after next)

Hope you find a good luthier close to you.

I'm coming to Darling Harbor in April to judge the NWS National Pug Specialty! How far are you from there?

pugs?! hehe!

like nick said... about as far as nyc to la is.

the crack is wiiide. i can fit a coin in it. actually going to get some photos in the coming days so

you can tell me what you think when you see how it is.

You might contact Con Gallin at AMI in Australia, he can put you in touch with a luthier there.

A.M.I. - Australian Musical Imports

37 - 47 Thistlethwaite St

South Melbourne ,VIC

Australia 3205

Email: sales@gibsonami.com

Phone: +61 3 8696 4600

Fax: +61 3 8696 4699

Authorized For: ALL GMI product lines

LMI or Stewart MacDonald, on line purveyors of guitar parts will be able to sell you a close match. You will likely want one that is just a hair bigger, all around, than the OEM bridge so that you are certain it covers the 'scar' left by removing the old one.

Also, a cracked bridge, can sometimes mean the crack runs all the way down through the reinforcement plate underneath the sound board, just below the bridge. Check to see if this also needs replacing. Also check for cracked or loose braces while you are in there with our light and inspection mirror.

Also, a cracked bridge, can sometimes mean the crack runs all the way down through the reinforcement plate underneath the sound board, just below the bridge. Check to see if this also needs replacing. Also check for cracked or loose braces while you are in there with our light and inspection mirror.

Agree on that. Look carefully at the bridgeplate, as splits from pinhole to pinhole are common. It does no good to replace the bridge if the bridgeplate is split. It's pretty common to need to do both. In 1974, this may well be a plywood bridgeplate, which is not so good from a sound perspective, but may be less likely to crack than the solid maple one.

Archived