Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro Or Not?

LAEqualizer

Hey guys/gals, just curious if anyone would know. I have recently acquired a 1983 Les Paul Standard in Cherry Burst. My question is "Is it Nitro finish or not?" How can I know for sure?

Sorry, but I am a newby to Gibson as I always played Fender before. That is why I know so little about Gibson mfg and specifics, etc.

Thanks

Does Virtuoso REALLY remove the bloom from nitro? Interesting, I thought it was some kind of chemical reaction with sweat that couldn't be undone.

Hello Rainbowdemon427! If You mean a shiny spot by the "bloom" - usually where Your forearm touches the top of the body -, Virtuoso will give a uniform shine to the top, which will cover such shiny spots. It kind of turns the dull finish of the Tribute to something similiar to R6 - not as much shiny tough. I really love it! Cheers... Bence

Definitely nitrocellulose lacquer on your Gibson. We recommend Gibson's pump polish or Luthier's choice guitar polish as both are formulated to work with the nitro.

Hello Rainbowdemon427! If You mean a shiny spot by the "bloom" - usually where Your forearm touches the top of the body -, Virtuoso will give a uniform shine to the top, which will cover such shiny spots. It kind of turns the dull finish of the Tribute to something similiar to R6 - not as much shiny tough. I really love it! Cheers... Bence

No Bence, I don't meant the shiny spot. My Gibsons are anything but shiny where my sweaty arm brushes against the body. It gives a kind of opaque, whiteish effect, and while I always use Gibson polish, nothing I've tried gets it back to original, hence the comment about it being a chemical reaction to the acidic perspiration, and therefore irreversible. And hence my ask about whether Virtuoso can clear it.

Henry? Got a view on this phenomemon?

I also get the hazy, opaqueness on my Les Paul and 339 nitro finishes in the places where my arm and fingers are in constant contact.

I agree with RAINBOWDEMON427 ... the Gibson Pump Polish and Luthier’s Choice products do nothing. Nitro safe, but not effective for removing that hazing.

The combination of Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish, however, does the job. And does it well.

In my experience, it’s the best nitro-safe product for this.

Also, Virtuoso Cleaner works better than anything I’ve tried, including Gibson’s Luthier’s Choice Metal Cleaner, for restoring shine to tarnished nickel and gold finish.

Well I got the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. First off I will say, the guitar is an '83 model that was played in bars and clubs. It has lots of light character marks. I started with the cleaner and worked on small areas at a time. I kept noticing while cleaning and buffing off that there were still the hazy smudgy marks around the edges and pickup selector switch, and also anywhere you would normally touch the guitar while playing. I thought well, I will go over the entire guitar twice and see how it looks. It helped, but still see several smudge areas. I said, well, maybe the polish will clear it up. So, I go over it twice with the polish, a little area at a time and buff with clean cotton. Well, I got done and still have smudgy haze areas.

Is there a secret to getting rid of these areas?

I wholeheartedly agree, the cleaner and polish are awesome. I just want the smudgies gone.

Anyone????

Virtuoso IS the cleaner and polisher for nitro finish. Just bought a pack last week. I had a 50's Tribute LP GT, now - after using the kit - I have an R6. :)

Very cool! I'd love to see pics if you have any that do the finish justice.

Very cool! I'd love to see pics if you have any that do the finish justice.

Hello BentonC! I'll post some pictures, possibly on tuesday - it takes time to get a proper camera. I am sure You will like to see the results of using this stuff! Of course, there was a slight overstatement in my previous post You've quoted, but She's looking very very pretty now. [smile] Cheers... Bence

I used a metal polish to get scratches off mine. What is the 'make up' of the finish?

I've noticed that under my covers there is a red residue. I have a jeweller customer that uses a 'rouge' polish for his finishing.

Is this the same?

What does Gibson use in the factory to polish the guitars?

What gets heavy wear out?

Can car polishes be used?

Well I got the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. First off I will say, the guitar is an '83 model that was played in bars and clubs. It has lots of light character marks. I started with the cleaner and worked on small areas at a time. I kept noticing while cleaning and buffing off that there were still the hazy smudgy marks around the edges and pickup selector switch, and also anywhere you would normally touch the guitar while playing. I thought well, I will go over the entire guitar twice and see how it looks. It helped, but still see several smudge areas. I said, well, maybe the polish will clear it up. So, I go over it twice with the polish, a little area at a time and buff with clean cotton. Well, I got done and still have smudgy haze areas.

Is there a secret to getting rid of these areas?

I wholeheartedly agree, the cleaner and polish are awesome. I just want the smudgies gone.

Anyone????

As no-one has come up with an answer I can only conclude that I'm right: hazing is something that is impossible to remove because it's a chemical reaction with the nitro to acids in perspiration. Someone prove me wrong. PLEASE!

As no-one has come up with an answer I can only conclude that I'm right: hazing is something that is impossible to remove because it's a chemical reaction with the nitro to acids in perspiration. Someone prove me wrong. PLEASE!

The cleaner will remove the haze. Just follow the instructions and remember to use very little pressure and change the cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived