Gibson Brands Forums

498t pick up or jeff beck pick up for 90's punk rock

alexandros

Hi! I have a sg special and i have changed recently the 490t with a 498t gold cover. After i have listened to my guitar at many amps(fender 700roc pro, mesa boogie roadking 2, marshall jcm 2000, engl thunderhead 50 watt) I made some notifications. First of all the 498t has very clean sound with good definition and even though it has 13.98 Kohm output (high output) it has not so much gain. On the other hand this pick up disappear all the bass frequencies from my sg and makes my guitar sound thin (clean sound is extremely thin).A friend of mine who has also a sg special advised me to install a sh-4 JB pick up (16.4 Kohm) because it has better bass response, nice fat mids and not too much tremble due to its low resonance peak. I'd like to ask you some things you may know from your experience:

why 498t has too much thin sound (miliamperes play some role?)?

is there any way to gain some bass frequencies (i heard a les paul custom with a 498t and it sounds much bigger with more bass)?

jeff beck or 498t is more suitable for a sg special for 90's punk rock music? (i certainly need fat mids and good definition)

is the cover of the pick up play any role? (i have the 498t with gold cover)?

thank you!!!

I don't think you want anything too hot for punk, so neither 498T or JB, IMHO.

Isn't a humbuck sized P90 what you need for its growl, grittiness and mids? Either that or a lower output humbucker seems to be popular for punk. I have the 490T in my SG special and for a humbucker, to me, that pup will get you as close as any to the P90 tone because of its strong mids and lower output.

From your current options, I think the best bet would be to put your 490T back in.

What amp settings and effects are you using to shape your tone?

If you want a fatter tone, you may want to look at a lower output pickup like our other kind reader suggested. The 57 Classic or 490T will probably do a better job of filling out the tone. Let the amp do the work. [thumbup]

I have tried to record twice with my sg (with 490t and with 498t) using an ENGL preamp E570(eq:bass 5(4 for 490t),mid:8,tremble:4(6 for 490t))and pro tools software. The result was good enough for the 498t and too dull in 490t case. At home i have a fender rocpro 700 and the settings in use for the 498t are eq:bass 7,mid 6, tremble 4. When i had the 490t on my sg the eq i used was: bass 4, mid 7, tremble 7.I do not use any pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khTaFEp39U This was the video that help me in choosing the 498t pick up. the guy on this video is playing with an ibanez mahogany body. please check this out!!

In this video the 57 classic plus seems to be too dull in contrast with the 498t or the jeff beck. The only disadvantage of the 498t is the fact that it doesnt sound bulky enough and thats because of its lower bass frequencies. i have read that 490t is a modern version of the 57 classic, so these two pick ups are really close to each other.

Archived