Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer and active pickups

120bpm

I've just bought Explorer (Cherry) and it has just one EMG 81 pickup in bridge position. There's no pickup in neck position. I'm thinking about getting a second one (85 or 60) but I'm curious, is it even possible in Gibson Explorer to have two active pickups? I would like to use it for dropped tuning. Does anyone have some experiences with active pickups in Explorer?

Yes it is possible for a Explorer to have two active pups.

Ipersonallyy would advise you to get rid of those actives.

Your explorer has a good tone wood, if you put activtes on your explorer then your throwing away the use of that tone wood. Actives are great for guitars with shitty or no tone wood, but putting actives on a explorer is like putting a bumper sticker on a Fearrai. [unsure]

I've just bought Explorer (Cherry) and it has just one EMG 81 pickup in bridge position. There's no pickup in neck position. I'm thinking about getting a second one (85 or 60) but I'm curious, is it even possible in Gibson Explorer to have two active pickups? I would like to use it for dropped tuning. Does anyone have some experiences with active pickups in Explorer?

Why wouldn't it be possible? Both of mine have 81/60 set.

Yeah, you can screw an active emg into a block of styrofoam and achieve the same sound. The seymour duncan blackouts are a good replacement, as they use the same wiring clip, and are much more quiet. Id invest in some decent pickups, dimarz, duncan, some gibson pafs, etc. Explorers have a great tone and sustain, at least the ones i've owned (3)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old topic, but i can't resist myself... [cursing]

To the guys that think active pickups will sound the same no matter what guitar there in, is completely false [thumbdn] . unless you are using a ridiculous amount of gain that even the heaviest of metal players wouldn't use or tone deaf, each guitar will sound different (with the exception of brands producing the same body styles as others with the same wood, like an esp eclipse to a les paul). The body style alone produces a different tone and resonance, collectively with the wood, hardware, neck, fretboard, etc. allows for a variety of tone from guitar to guitar. Granted, some differences are minor and require you to have played guitar long enough to pickup these differences, regardless of that, an active pickup doesn't take that away. If you honestly believe that it does (i'm talking to you, de00n and ESPguy), tell that to James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Zakk Wylde, and countless other notable guitar players from jazz to death metal. Speaking of jazz, active pickups were first designed for that becuase they produced a clean tone more suitable for jazz. I'm not trying to diss passive pickups because who can diss the first humbucker ever made or the iconic PAF or the mini humbucker? Neither active or passive pickups are "better," it really depends on what you prefer. For example, iron maiden uses stratocasters, guitars that aren't known for metal. So if want to use an explorer for blues, go right ahead. If you want to use a tele for punk rock, go right ahead. Kudos to the guy who started this topic for not listening to the guys who were telling him what to put in or out of HIS guitar. That's the beauty of music, it's not about what others want you to sound like, it's about what you want to sound like. B)

definately can be done.

I put EMG's in my 85 Explorer back in the day.

Personally I hated them and replaced them with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and a Vintage Jazz in the neck, which I enjoy, but actives are easy to wire up in an explorer.

NHTom

Archived