Gibson Brands Forums

0.9 strings on gibson es-335

Seu João

Hello gibson fans,

I played all my life with 0.9 strings, in my fender telecaster. But i'm getting a wonderfull Gibson es-335 63' reissue with those fantastic burstbuckers and i'm really thinking on putting some 0.9 strings on the guitar, 'cause i'm a small hand player and i really prefer playing with these strings, with 0.10 i have some difficulty to bend one tone in the E and B higher strings. But i'm afraid that the gibson may loose the caracteristic sound, that wonderfull tone. can somebody tell me about their experience with this kind of strings in a semi hollow body guitar, how did the guitar reacted to that. I play only blues, in fact, even if a try to play something else i wouldn't be able to, i play mostly in a BB King style soloing, Muddy Waters (that's why i'm a telecaster lover) and some Freddie king.

Hope to ear some news,

João Mota

I played Fenders and Rickenbackers for years with light-gauge strings (9's on the Fenders). When I started playing 335-style semi-hollowbodies, I went to TI flats for two of them. I use 12's on my Epiphone Sheraton, and 10's on my Ibanez AS103. I still use D'Adario 10's on my Gibson 335, in part because I like a little round-wound variety mixing with the flats on my other guitars (I use flat 10's now on my Fenders and Rics, too). I personally like the stability of the larger-gauge strings. The 12's mate really well with my semi-hollow Sheraton. They move the top much better than lighter strings (I tried a lot of different brands and gauges on that guitar before the TI 12's). I don't bend strings much, so super slinky strings that feel like rubber bands aren't my style. I like strings that stand up and fight.

Hello,

For years I used .09-.42 strings on my Les Paul and other guitars.

When I bought my first hollowbody (an ES-135) it came with .10-.52 which are a good balanced set.

I have used this guage for a while and love the nice deep tones you get out of it. Great for blues and even jazz.

Although the jazz guys like .11 or .12 I find them too heavy for any stretching like you will do in most blues or rock.

So lately I decided to use a heavier guage on my Les Paul. I had a talk with my luthier (who absolutely loves .10-.52 guage) and he suggested I try .09 -.46

He said they are not as balanced as the .10-.52 but better than the .10-.46 so I decided to try them. I bought the Dean Marley Blue Steal Custom Lights.

They Feel great. Lots of stretching and pretty good bass tones without as much buzzing as the .09-.42

I have been using Dean Markley strings for years and my only complaint is that they always leave a black residue on your fingers. Plenty of other companies make

Custom Light .09-.42 sets. I suggest you try one.

Good Luck...

Like a number of guys said:

You will find 10's on Gibsons sounding fuller and clearer. Bending effort is similar to 9's on a longer Fender scale.

I use 10's on all scales... simplify my spare set of strings. Plus, sometimes there are good sale incentive when you buy a box. [thumbup]

Archived