Gibson Brands Forums

Rant-My local dealer blames Gibson

TorturedZen

I'll try to make this short. Two weeks ago I acquired a LP Traditional Plus Light Burst from my local authorized dealer. Had her for about a day or so, and

while the the Light Burst is gorgeous, I decided a Honey Burst was more to my liking. Especially the natural mahogany back. So I called my dealer, asked for an exchange.

No problem. He didn't have one in stock, but stated he would order me a Honey Burst and that it should only take a few days.

Well, a week went by and still no honey burst. The dealer tells me he is leaving messages for the Gibson rep, not getting calls returned, getting jerked around etc. The guitar wasn't even ordered!

Today I spoke with the dealer again. This time he tells me a rep from Gibson claims their recent issue with the Feds has affected their ability ship product and that the wait for

a Honey Burst could be 30-60 days.

I'm sitting on a brand new LP, resisting the urge to play it in case some unforeseen mishap occurs and, God forbid, it gets a ding or a scrape that would make the exchange difficult.

Is Gibson having problems fulfilling orders or is my dealer jerking me around? Should I ultimately settle and keep the light burst or spend time (intolerably) waiting?

I haven't heard anything from Gibson, directly...but, my dealer has

told me, they too, are having delays, of shipments from Gibson, due

to the recent raids. They told me, it could be 60-90 days, or longer,

before they can get anything, that's not previously on order.

I'm not even sure Gibson is "open," right now, and/or how long it might/will

be closed down, entirely. Maybe one of our Gibson CS/forum members, can shed

some light on this?

CB

It's kind of hard for any of us here to tell you what to do seeing as how we don't have access to your guitar. You're the one who plays it, you're the one who has to look at it, you're the one who has to decide. Keep in mind that some new LPs just don't sound good, some have issues, and some are outright ugly. You may not like the replacement.

You got an unfortunate situation. Yep - there has been problems with production, and it looks like there will continue to be problems with production. The 2009 raid confiscated ebony. The flood in 2010 required some time to recover from and catch up on their production materials/schedules/orders. And this 2011 raid confiscated rosewood, guitars, computers and records - more delays in production materials/schedules/orders. Three years in row with problems.

I've gathered from news reports and interviews, Gibson is running (I could be wrong). But imagine trying to run a business after your computers and records have been confiscated - difficult.

Regarding your question - Yes, Gibson will be having some problems fulfilling orders, which will surely frustrate dealers and customers.

If the Trad is not to your liking, return it now, get your money back, and then deal with locating a HB Trad. Of course as R9 wrote - you might not like what you end up with.

No one here can really say for sure what the best move for you to make is - there are drawbacks to every choice. Look at all the options carefully and go with the one with the drawbacks you can live with.

Personally, if I liked the way the Lightburst sounded and felt; I'd keep it. The recent raids would definately make it difficult for Gibson to keep up with the demand. Who knows how long it might take to get the Honeyburst in and it might not even sound or feel as nice as the Lightburst.

While it's great when you can get the nicest looking guitar and the best sound and feel all in one instrument; I find that the appearance is secondary.

Thank you for the replies. I'm leaning towards just keeping the Light Burst. As I said, it's a gorgeous guitar and I suppose I can live with the cherry red back

as opposed to a natural back.

IMG_0018.jpg

sweeeet guitar !

that one's gonna age nicely too.(just my own opinion)

if it feels good, and as importantly, sounds good......i'd definately keep it.

from what i've read (on the petition sheet) Gibson is still trying to get back basically the same items but confiscated in 2009 !!

let alone what they lost in the most recent raid.

Who spends $2300 on a guitar without making sure it's the one they want? If you were happy enough to purchase the guitar, and there is nothing wrong with your axe, thank God you got a good one! The next one may have finish issues, or a roller-coaster neck with a less effective truss rod....who knows! I fell in love with Iced Tea Burst....ever since I seen it in a magazine! Went to a GC and played several LP Trad Plus', and ultimately came home with the Iced Tea ;) Nothing will ever be truly perfect, but this particular axe is the closest I have ever seen in guitars :D

We should all have such "problems?" Sheesh!! Keep it, and play the Hell out of it!

CB

Hey there,

She's a real beauty and IMO for what it's worth (about 2cents probably [tongue]) I actually think the cherry back compliments the outer edges of that sweet looking top piece. If you decide to keep her enjoy otherwise good luck on the replacement [smile]

Thank you for the replies. I'm leaning towards just keeping the Light Burst. As I said, it's a gorgeous guitar and I suppose I can live with the cherry red back

as opposed to a natural back.

IMG_0018.jpg

Nice guitar!

Going in a different direction, how do you like the mods made to your LP Studio? I have 2 Studios('84/'93) that I've been thinking about doing the RS electronics upgrades to. How much difference in tone is there from stock? Are you still running the stock pups or have they been upgraded as well?

From what you've said your always going to have in the back of your mind that this isn't the guitar for you which colours your feelings towards it now and probably always will (mainly intuition here as I experienced something similar a while back). For that much money get exactly what you want and hang on until you find it IMHO. From what others have said giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt seems prudent too.

Archived