Gibson Brands Forums

My wife started guitar lessons

davidl

My sweety started lessons about 2 weeks ago. Never played guitar before but seems to enjoy it. She now understands sore finger tips.

As you all know, it is very slow going at first. Those fingers just aren't meant to bend like that.

So far she has only used my Taylor acoustic and a friends so so acoustic. She can really appreciate how much nicer it is to work with a quality instrument. Even this early in the game.

The electrics still intimidate her and thats just fine with me.

I give her all the encouragement I can and try and re-enforce what she is learning from her teacher. We thought it best to have someone other than myself to teach her. After all, who am I to teach? I take lessons too.

I'm anxious for the day we can strum along to the blues together.

Dave

Its great when your girl plays guitar you can jam..i was always getting into trouble with one of my exes for forcing her to play rythm all the time hahaha ..she wanted to solo a bit too .. [biggrin] thats a good idea getting an other teacher shouldnt be long and you can jam ..sometimes drop D can be good when they start out its easier for them to get a sound and feel for playing

Right now she's learning her open major and minor chords. A good way I believe, to get her started actually playing something.

This will also enable me to spend more time playing as I didn't want her to become a guitar widow.

She has always liked my playing but now that she has started herself, she thinks I'm some kind of mini guitar god. Good for the ego.

Dave

So, what do you have to learn? Ironing?

Funny.

As long as I don't have to take ball room dancing, ironing is fine. I've always been the primary cook too until she recently retired.

I know how to do all the domestic chores, I'm just lucky I don't have to. In my wife's mind, After spending about 11 hours a day around work, I shouldn't have to worry about too much stuff around the house. We bought a new lawn tractor after our old one died a few weeks ago and I've only cut the lawn once. I did have to re-enforce the shed that the tractor lives in yesterday after she came in a little hot to park and darn near blew through the back of the shed.

Dave

How cool is that... [thumbup] Now you can buy her presents you both can use and enjoy. I mean how often might you ask her if you can borrow her diamond ring, think about it....

Good point Dave.

I'm thinking a nice 61 SG re-issue would look good on her. Or maybe a Strat or Tele. The possibilities are endless.

Hehe :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, sometimes putting a capo at the 2nd fret makes it a bit easier to play longer.

I always tell beginners to play until their fingers tingle, then back off until the tingling's mostly gone, then back at it until the fingers tingle, and the... etc., etc.

I know some despise the capo regardless that some folks in all styles have used one, but I think after playing a bit bare-fingered, it might not hurt for the second or third practice session a day to use one.

m

For what it's worth, sometimes putting a capo at the 2nd fret makes it a bit easier to play longer.

I always tell beginners to play until their fingers tingle, then back off until the tingling's mostly gone, then back at it until the fingers tingle, and the... etc., etc.

I know some despise the capo regardless that some folks in all styles have used one, but I think after playing a bit bare-fingered, it might not hurt for the second or third practice session a day to use one.

m

Good tip Milod.

Appreciated.

Dave

I always figured that there are a few of us who got started in such a way that the pain didn't mean all that much, but I'd already picked up the idea from playing trumpet that pain doesn't get the job done.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes habit. And if you're making slight changes in technique because of pain the the fingers, odds are it's not going to improve your playing - but is more likely to become a habit you'll later have to rid yourself of.

Then too... If a couple enjoys making music together, literally, it can be both serious and fun as long as both are on the same wavelength of "fun."

m

Archived