Gibson Brands Forums

Temperature and Humidity and Tuning

Rich W

Temperature and humidity changes can affect tuning from one day to the next, but what about single strings that go out of tune more than the others?

I’m assuming that these temperature/humidity changes have a general effect on all of the strings together.

But is it plausible that these changes could also affect mostly the G string ... or does this sound more like a tuning machine / nut issue?

Temperature and humidity changes can affect tuning from one day to the next, but what about single strings that go out of tune more than the others?

I’m assuming that these temperature/humidity changes have a general effect on all of the strings together.

But is it plausible that these changes could also affect mostly the G string ... or does this sound more like a tuning machine / nut issue?

This is natural being metal its expands and contracts, A good rule to follow is the thinner the string the faster it heats or cools. so the GBE strings will change tone faster than the bass strings.

if its just the G string then i am swayed to suggesting its a tuning machine / nut issue

temperature changes always! effect all my strings regardless of thickness.

3 x 3 tuner configurations always have tuning issues with the G string at one point or another. get some lubrication such as Big Bends nut sauce or similar and put it on the saddle and the nut and see if the issue goes away.

if when tuning the string you are hearing 'pings' from either the saddle or the nut then its possible that the slots are too narrow (incorrectly slotted) or have a burr that needs to be smoothed out.

Temperature and humidity will affect your tuning, and the reason some strings "seem" more affected is simply the nut slot is catching the string more than the others. Lube it with graphite (from a mechanical pencil) and see if that helps....even with overall tuning stability ;)I do this at EVERY string change!

dunno what it is about g strings i always give an extra wrap on tuning peg they always seem to drop i assumed it was coz it got bent the most but it is interesting you say the same thing..humidity and atmosphere can affect intonation to..one guitar that i never had a problem with staying in tune had a set of good grovers that was fantastic for keeping in tune

I read somewhere that the G-String is the hardest to keep in perfect tune because obtaining the exact required frequency of the G-Note is very difficult, if not impossible. I've always only been able to get it close enough for rock and roll. [biggrin]

Not exactly but close. A plain G string can't vibrate correctly at the required tension to get the note. If you switch to a wound G string the problem goes away along with most of the intonation problems the G string has.

Archived