Gibson Brands Forums

Ooooooooch

Spot

How? and Why? did he get it back from the buyer in Utah!

Those are the same questions that came to my mind. Ironically, the damage looks consistent with the story, and I can see it happening. I've come close to doing that several times over the years, which is why I try never to leave the guitar in the case on the floor with the top open. I think I remember seeing this guitar for sale prior to this incident.

Personally, I think the top repair would cost more than $1000 in the US, as I can't imagine that all the top braces would survive the impact without splitting. Sometimes they'll pop off cleanly, but they are just as likely to splinter. The risk is also that the top could be over-cleated with so many cracks, and could lose a fair amount of character and volume.

It also looks to me like the bottom cracks might need attention. I'm not sure I've ever seen a J-45 of this vintage without some loose braces in the back in any case, even if it's only the ends popping up.

The description is a bit hyperbolic. If the top was indeed completely flat before the accident, it wasn't right.

$1K looks like a lowball to me if the original top was to be repaired - Lotsa cosmetics after the repair and as mentioned unless repaired with structural epoxy without multiple cleats the sound would suffer - A better way would be to have a new top installed - the old one has to come off for a competent repair, fix the back crack and any other loose bracing - and keep it for a player. Top Repaired or replaced, it's never going to bring the figure mentioned in the ebay listing. Pity....Great looking old '45

B

My 1966 C&W went through this. The former owner smashed it while chasing a lovebird in his home (as he explained) in the early 70's. He had the top incl. bracing replaced by a friend/colleague/ Gibson employee 10 years later. This guy installed a very thin top with scalloped braces and moved the sound hole 1 centimeter back.

So it is no longer an original C&W, , , , or should we call it 'original' in the other sense of the word.

Never the less it is very much alive and has a great tone.

Is it a '66 Gibson Country & Western ? – No !

Is it a Gibson ? – Yeah, but with a twist (remember the materials are from the Kalamazoo plant).

The owner told me it got more volume after the surgery. It's not loud, but can speak up. Guess the conclusion is that the wreck above could be fixed to something unique.

A chance to take. A mission. A dream-job for the enthusiastic and visionary luthier.

Its cracked all over... But very Repairable.. Ive seen worse fixed where you couldnt tell they were damaged.. the bright side of the guitar is it looks like its all straight grain cracks.. Thats a good price if it could be had for that..

Its cracked all over... But very Repairable.. Ive seen worse fixed where you couldnt tell they were damaged.. the bright side of the guitar is it looks like its all straight grain cracks.. Thats a good price if it could be had for that..

Agree 100%. Cracks along the grain are the easiest to fix. It's just a matter of identifying not just the total number of cracks, but the state of the braces, etc. I've had a quote of about $60 per crack if cleating is required.

Wonder if you could negotiate a quantity discount on repairs for a whole bunch of cracks?

There are a lot of caveats, but it generally looks like a nice guitar.

I have been watching that one to see where the price goes. I know about five other guys who are also watching it. I have seen guitars in alot worse condition than that one restored to where you have to look hard to see where the damage even was. I agree with an aabove post that the condition of the top braces (which apparently fell out and are laying in the guitar) is possibly a bigger concern than the cracks in the top. But that guitar could very well be a great buy.

Last week there was a banner LG-3 with sides that were cracked all to heck up for grabs. It ended up going for $600 which ain't bad.

Archived