Gibson Brands Forums

Windows 8

Tman5293

So I downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Alpha and installed it in virtual box last night. Been running it for a while now and I've noticed that Microsoft has made some drastic changes to the Windows platform. Not sure what to really think of it at this point. It's just so different from Windows 7.

Here's a few screen shots:

The login screen when you first boot up the PC:

Windows81.png

The new start menu:

Windows82.png

The desktop which has remained almost identical to Windows 7:

Windows83.png

If anyone is interested in trying out Windows 8, you can download it from Microsoft's development center right here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

I just got done back in May from Updating from Windows XP to 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I think I will wait a while when Microsoft works out all the bugs and kinks before I go upgrading to Windows 8.

I think Win 8 has pointless overhead.

I'm still using Windows XP primarily.

Ended up putting windows 7 on my netbook just to be able to use it.

One huge thing I have noticed about Windows 8 is that it has a lot of flashy effects and apps. Almost like it's intended more for tablet use than desktop use. To me it does not seem like it would be very efficient for power users. It's seems to be more aimed at the average internet/email user. Now I will admit that some of the apps on there are really nice to have. But it seems like finding individual programs and files has been made more difficult by the new start menu. But since this is just an Alpha release, I'm sure they already have plans to fix things to make it more efficient.

I think I will wait a while when Microsoft works out all the bugs and kinks before I go upgrading to Windows 8.

Microsoft releases new versions with bugs and kinks???? SHOCKED, I am, I tell ya! Just Shocked!

Right there with you. I hated Vista, and am still getting used to Win7, so an "upgrade" is not in my near future.

Guest farnsbarns

For drive/folder management give me PCDOS, MS DOS or a *nix shell any day of the week. Tow work, entertainment, web browsing, comms I'll take Windows every time. I played with Windows 8 at a MicroSoft quarterly breifing a while ago. Once it's matured and had at least 1 service pack I'm there.

The VM looks like Windows 8, your host machine looks somewhat like a Mac ( dock at the bottom of screen, task bar at the top ).

I thought you said Macs suck.... :-k[flapper]

Oh yes. You are indeed right about that. It works much better for me since I don't like having icons on my desktop. But unlike a Mac, my open programs don't appear in the dock. They only show up in the task bar at the top.

Mac still sucks. msp_flapper.gif

Microsoft are always trying to rip of macs os...i actually found win 7 64 pro ver pretty stable however it has issues with pro tools 8 which is a pain as i wish to use it as a DAW ..i got pro tools 9 which i am picking up next week which i hope will stop the issues such as every time i bounce down it comes out with a hiss regardless of settings .. ggrrr [cursing] will get there eventually just keep sinking bucks into it

Archived