Gibson Brands Forums

The J-150 has finally arrived !

EuroAussie

So after a hell of a tour (Ohio - Chicago - Paris - Prague) she finally arrived in one piece.

Ill keep it short and to the point. Bottom line: amazing guitar.

Projection, balance, clarity and really great warmth. The the three things that really struck me is just how well she projects, the balance she has, (some J-200's I found to be far too boomy) and also the warmth, which I think it comes from 10 years of playing.

In an ideal state, but needs an urgent set up. There is quite a bit of fret buzz when i dig in but thats because the saddle is incredibly low at 1.8mm on the 12th fret low E. All my other guitars are 2.4mm. Also its all stock plastic, so she will be going to my tech for a full bone make over and set up prompto.

Havent plugged her in yet (comes with a fishman UST pickup, brilliant) but that will be next step so i hope I can give her a run at tomorrow night gig.

Super, Super happy, first time I bought a guitar unplayed - I hit a bullseye !

Heres a couple pics and a sound sample with some chords, strumming, arppegios and a little lead break - appologies for the sloppy playing, i just ran though it in one take.

IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

Yes, they are, the seller was king enough to put a new set. But the mystery is what strings are they. Any guesses ?

I have a feeling they might be Elxirs as they have a bit of a slippery feel and real Elixir chime. Normally I dont like Elixirs but these sound pretty impressive to my ears.

Will drop a note to the seller asking him about the strings, they are definitely 12's.

Gorgeous geet! Are those new strings in the sound clip?

Yes, they are, the seller was king enough to put a new set. But the mystery is what strings are they. Any guesses ?

I have a feeling they might be Elxirs as they have a bit of a slippery feel and real Elixir chime. Normally I dont like Elixirs but these sound pretty impressive to my ears.

Will drop a note to the seller asking him about the strings, they are definitely 12's.

Every set of Elixers I've tried (only hog & rosewood) sound very "metallic", and the sound clip of your J150 sound rich and warm. Wonder if it's the maple that brings out the ear candy. What mic did you use to record with?

Real sweet guitar. You are really going to enjoy playing it. Just be polite when you are playing along with other pickers. Try not to play too loud, because it will only increase their angst...and when you change strings, change to older ones...lol.... Use only your fingertips. No thumb picks, fingerpicks, or flat picks. Use only your fingertips (no nails). Oh, and when you do play loud, be sure you first check on the city noise ordinance....[thumbup]

Big thanks to everyone here, obviously I was busy taking the lady for a test run last nite to spend too much time on the Gibby forum.

However, must say again that this is really a great guitar, ive been very fortunate with an ebay purchase.

The maple jumbo definitely has a tonal place in the stable, as it is a different sound to all my other guitars. She also took over from the CW as the best strummer in the camp.

It excites me (and scared also) how much the tone will improve and project when i do the full bone treatment on her (nut, saddle, pins) and also raise the action as its insanely low, and getting lots of fret buzz when digging in. She's already a tone monster right now !

I hope to take her to our pub gig tonite, so if you are interested keep an eye tomorrow to hear the plugged in tone.

To answer some specfic questions:

1) Microphone: my wifes 'Snowball' condenser USB mike, about a foot away from the guitar

2) Cost of revealing the news to Mrs EA: 4 pairs of shoes and being labelled 'completely bonkers'. Ill take it !

Thank you all again !

Oh its very different Lefty. Brighter, but not massively brigher.

I would say more open, fuller, greater projection, but not as woody as the SJ. Greater sustain.

Both are very warm guitars, but in their own ways.

The blues for example sound much better on the SJ but when it comes to strumming the Jumbo is the clear winner.

They are a great complement to each other, actually all the Gibbys complement each other and have their own identity in the stable.

Looks great Aussie! Your stable of great Gibbies just keeps on expanding.

How does the sound compare to your SJ - much brighter?

Im still generally not a fan of maple as for me it lacks depth and warmth with the Gibson Super Jumbo body being the only exception. Here the size delivers the warmth and depth (brilliantly), which I find smaller maple guitars lack (this even included the J-185 which is only a bit smaller, but the difference in tone to me is significant)

Hope JerryK is not reading this post .... [unsure]

btw: Just checked out the electronics. It has a stock Fishman UST pickup that was originally installed to the guitar. No frills, no volume or tone controls, but thats ok.

Combined it with the Aura Spectrum and found an image I really like on it, very representative.

So she's coming along with me to the gig tonite, will record it again (this time with MUCH lower audio settings and post a couple tracks here tomorrow)

Very exciting.

Hep for the maple EA (wasn't there a time when you felt foreign to that material). Your comparison with the SJ is interesting.

I'll take a listen later.

Have to say I believe you could take'n'post pics more worthy of the guitar.

Archived