Gibson Brands Forums

Is there any information at all about this Les Paul copy?

hellion102792

I've got a nameless Les Paul Custom copy from the '70s that my dad bought for about $100 when he was younger. I know there are countless copies of Gibson instruments, but I can not figure out any real info or company name to match it.

What I do know:

-Copy of Black Les Paul Custom, circa 1970-something.

-Weighs roughly 8.5lbs, so lighter than some authentic models.

-Bolt-on Neck.

-Neck bolt plate says "Made in Japan", top half peeled off like foil (see picture) so I can't tell if there was anything else on it.

-Bridge pickup says "Goher Pickups" on the bottom, no info on that company.

-Neck pickup simply has "NR" written in pencil in the cavity.

-No Serial number.

-Headstock is blank.

-3-screw truss rod cover.

-Has TOM bridge, stamped with "H.T.F. BRIDGE" underneath.

-Bound Fretboard, headstock, and body.

-Block inlays, doesn't match a real Custom's number of inlays and poor epoxy job on some of them.

-Probably not made of tonewood (sounds like crap unplugged), most likely plywood. Body appears to possibly be made in a "pancake" style, visible in the finish.

-Pots say "NICHION" and "A 500k" ohms.

-Electronics crackle a lot, especially when input cord is moved.

-Finish doesn't seem to be nitro.

Pictures:

HPIM1978.jpg

Neck bolt plate with "silver" peeling off.

HPIM1980.jpg

Pots

HPIM1981.jpg

HPIM1983.jpg

Headstock comparison: The shape is pretty close to my Gibson's, but it curves in on the sides more.

HPIM1984.jpg

HPIM1985.jpg

HPIM1986.jpg

HPIM1987.jpg

If anyone knows anything about Japanese LP copies that match this one, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is this a "lawsuit" era LP? All I know about that is there were lawsuits regarding some companies headstock design, I'm just wondering. Thanks.

Pippy:

I've heard of that brand before, it's come up on some of my Google searches for anything about this guitar. I can't find any pictures of their guitars, but I did find this question from GuitarSite.com:

Hi

I am looking to upgrade this 1970's Japanese low end of the market guitar, it is a very nice looking black beast with nice white binding. Tuners (3+3) need changing - need to fit 8 mm diameter holes in headstock with about 1 and one eigth inch shaft on the tuner. A new nut would probably help - graphtech?

Any advice ref Humbuckers? Action high, but no more adjustment in Tune -o - matic type bridge. Has plastic saddles - are these OK or would it be best to change. Smaller bridge than the Gibson.

The intonation ismiles out and won't adjust - any reason for that. Strings are very old - could that be a reason. Will fit new strings but I always like to evaluate what I am going to do before I remove old strings.

Thanks

Any advice will be welcome

Some of those features seem to match up to mine, the plastic saddles, lousy intonation adjustment, white binding, and "Black Beast" (though I think the real ones were called Black Beauties). Thanks for the input.

I've had 2 of those in the 70's. This one is either an Austin or an Asco. Although both mine had their brands on the headstock and the neck plate just above the Made in Japan mark. Check if the headstock had been refinished to cover the non-Gibson brand. Both my copies had the same non-metal bridges.

If we get past the cheesy smile and the skinny legs (just got back from Army Basic and AIT in 1982) this was my Ibanez LP Copy and the only remaining photo of it. Except for the rear p/u I believe this is that guitar model' date=' I do not remember the neck joint if it was bolted or not. I added the lighting decal, and this bad habit continues today...:-k

I still have that leather strap though, been all over the world with me. From countless States here to the UK, Germany, Japan, Korea, France, Denmark.

[center']l_ecea63a945cc39bda0573569d9f26304.jpg[/center]

hahahaha great pic! i'd have to admit, i'm guilty with having that face while first playin my lp

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna guess that it's a Cortez based on the info you gave me and by some reviews on Harmony Central on Cortez LP's. I'm not exactly sure how to check to see if the headstock was refinished like midnight sun said to, I know my dad wouldn't know if it was (he bought it, used it for a couple years, and forgot about it), and I don't think it's worth the gas money to drive to Noll Guitars to have them check it out. Thanks for the help though!

• 11 years later...

This is a Jedson Les Paul copy no question. 
A good friend of mine and I both have one identical to this. 
They went out of business in 1975, personally I love playing it, but the pick ups are just about to be changed for a Tonerider Rebel 90 and a Tonerider Birmingham Zebra. 
new pots and a switch and I’m going to love this guitar even more. 
hope this was helpful 

Slade 

This question was posted many years ago but...I bought a guitar like yours when they were first introduced to the US market. 

It was probably 1971. The company name on the guitar was "UNIVOX".

I still have the neck and the bridge and tailpiece.

2 hours ago, Sladie said:

This is a Jedson Les Paul copy no question. 
A good friend of mine and I both have one identical to this. 
They went out of business in 1975, personally I love playing it, but the pick ups are just about to be changed for a Tonerider Rebel 90 and a Tonerider Birmingham Zebra. 
new pots and a switch and I’m going to love this guitar even more. 
hope this was helpful 

Slade 

Welcome to the forum Slade.

This thread dates from 2008 and Helion hasn't posted since January 2015. So unlikely to be useful to him now, but good job on the ID nevertheless.

Edited by merciful-evans