Gibson Brands Forums

short and long scale

chasAK

I like the feel of the short scale, but often wondered how the long scale would change the tone and clarity. I assume the volume would increase.

L/S. Tighter string = more volume. Also more separation, note to note. High end penetration. Slightly more distance between frets. May hold pitch better. Extent of this will vary from unit to unit, depending on woods, body, yada.

S/S. Looser feel. More blend of notes (choral effect).

I discovered short scale about eight years ago with a Gibson Cascade and I must say I have continued to play short scale now with three acoustics which include a Martin 00028 which meets between the two at 24.9.

It would certainly not bother me to ever play long scale again however having just purchased a Fender Tele Custom 1974 I am enjoying it greatly even though it is full scale.

But to summarize Acoustics are best short scale electrics, well still best short scale.

High end penetration

Would the bass be more boom and would the mids sort of take a back seat?chasAK

Yes, though there's a bit of range there, from the snap of an OM to the twang of a mahogany D18 to the rumble of a rosewood D28 and the throb of a J200. Mids may be scoopped as well, though that depends depends more on make and model. Def so on Martins. A Gibby Adv. Jumbo would be more balanced, as would D's made by Collings, Bourgeois, and Cruz, who adjust for balance (nicest D I ever played in that respect was a Collings D2H).

(nicest D I ever played in that respect was a Collings D2H).

You got the 'right one baby'.... the difference with the Collings dreads is the way they balances the bass tones with the mids/highs, no matter how hard you play. I love playing my Gibson AJ but it has to sit down when my D2HG gets out of the case... unless you've lived with one, there's just some things that can't be explained.

Archived