Gibson Brands Forums

Chambered, or not?

rainbowdemon427

I just bought a 2007 Les Paul Standard. Nice guitar, I like it, and it's so much lighter than the one I had in the 70's. so, given the serial number 015271372, can anyone tell me if it's weight-relieved, chambered or what? Is there any way of telling? I reckon it weighs a little less than my SG Carved Top, maybe 7 pounds - ish.

Sounds like it's chambered to me. It seems likely that chambering started across the LP range (with certain exceptions) in late 2006.

Weight varies greatly from instrument to instrument, of course, but a weight-relieved instrument - such as the LP Traditional - is still likely to weigh in at around 9 - 9 1/2 lb.

P.

I often wonder what category my Les Paul Studio Lite falls under since it has not had holes put in the mahogany, it's not chambered but it has had chucks of the mahogany carved out and had Blasa Wood (Chromite) placed in there.

It this called weight relieved or is this something unique to the Studio Lite models.

I often wonder what category my Les Paul Studio Lite falls under since it has not had holes put in the mahogany, it's not chambered but it has had chucks of the mahogany carved out and had Blasa Wood (Chromite) placed in there.

It this called weight relieved or is this something unique to the Studio Lite models.

Gibson started experimenting with spruce-skinned balsa wood guitars from 1986 when a guy called Matthew Klein joined the company. He had already had some success with the concept and had, in fact, supplied ZZ Top with a number of instruments for both their 'Afterburner' tour in '85 (four Explorer-shaped guitars; two sixes and two basses) and also the 'Recycler' tour that followed (Super-400 style with Firebird headstocks).

The first Gibson-made balsa guitar - this time with a maple skin - was the Strat-style US-1 made between '86 and '91. In '87 there was the Chet Atkins SST model and the LP Studio Lite was introduced in 1990. It was in production until '98.

All this info is from Tony Bacon's excellent "The Les Paul Guitar Book".

P.

Interesting info.

So this means My Studio Lite is not weight relieved but a weight relief of it's own?

Then what constitutes a weight relieved guitar?

EDIT:-

Nevermind, I looked it up on google.

It appears both chambered and weight relieved are taking chunks out of the mahogany just in different ways.

So the studio Lite model has it's own special version of weight relieving.

...So this means My Studio Lite is not weight relieved but a weight relief of it's own?...

Not exactly.......but sort-of.......

From the same source as I mentioned earlier this is what they did with the LP Studio Lite;

"The new balsa-enhanced Studio Lite of 1990 was given a regular flat back and a slimmer neck compared to its previous incarnation {the 1988 - 90 version}, losing a couple of pounds in the process. A roughly D-shaped cut-out in the guitar body left the bridge and tailpiece connected to the back, with the space around filled by balsa, which Gibson bought cut to the required dimensions..."

The gist of it is the SL was, in effect, given the full 'chambering' process which would become widespread in 2006 except in this case the resulting chamber was filled with balsa.

'Chromite', BTW, was simply a word dreamed up by Gibson from the latin names for balsa; Ochroma Pyramidale and Ochroma Lagopus. Mr. Bacon suggests this could have been to circumvent using the somewhat cheaper sounding name 'Balsa'.

P.

Not exactly.......but sort-of.......

From the same source as I mentioned earlier this is what they did with the LP Studio Lite;

"The new balsa-enhanced Studio Lite of 1990 was given a regular flat back and a slimmer neck compared to its previous incarnation {the 1988 - 90 version}, losing a couple of pounds in the process. A roughly D-shaped cut-out in the guitar body left the bridge and tailpiece connected to the back, with the space around filled by balsa, which Gibson bought cut to the required dimensions..."

The gist of it is the SL was, in effect, given the full 'chambering' process which would become widespread in 2006 except in this case the resulting chamber was filled with balsa.

'Chromite', BTW, was simply a word dreamed up by Gibson from the latin names for balsa; Ochroma Pyramidale and Ochroma Lagopus. Mr. Bacon suggests this could have been to circumvent using the somewhat cheaper sounding name 'Balsa'.

P.

More interesting info on the studio Lite Pippy.

My 91' model must be a mix version as it's visually identical to an Ebony Studio and also has the Studio labeled truss rod cover while I don't think I have seen any studio Lites with a Studio truss rod cover.

The neck seems exactly the same a standard I have used so I don't think the neck had been slimmed down.

Unsure of the pickups though.

They could be 490R 498T or the 498R 500T with pickup covers.

Both pickups have the Gibson logo engraved into the back of the pickups.

I know the balsa surrounds the tone pots, the pickup areas are made of balsa and around the pickup selector switch area is surrounded by balsa as well.

I don't think it is slimded down either....

Will have ti look up the dimensons of a standard vs a studio soon.

There is still quite a lot I would like to know abut my personal Studio Lite as I have not seen one which is identical.

Archived