Gibson Brands Forums

Looks a little off......

J-200 Koa

What's pictured is a 1976 Hummingbird.

The description is fantasy land. The seller might be an Ovation collector, but he doesn't know squat about Gibsons.

The "Guitar Dater Project" has struck again because it can't tell the difference between the mid-70's 8-digit numbering system and the current system. The model/serial number decal with the "00" prefix is obviously and absolutely 1976, along with the volute, etc.

Other description anomalies:

This guitar was made in 1976 in Kalamazoo.

The laminated neck from this era would be maple.

The fretboard markers are "small blocks".

The bridge is not adjustable.

I would question any info on any guitar from this seller. I don't think he's trying to purposely mislead anyone for financial gain, I think he's just that DUMB.

What's pictured is a 1976 Hummingbird. .... The description is fantasy land. The laminated neck from this era would be maple. .... I would question any info on any guitar from this seller. I don't think he's trying to purposely mislead anyone for financial gain, I think he's just that DUMB.

Thanks Larry - that laminated neck steered me wrong.

I just sent the following message to the seller informing him that his date is off. Hopefully, he will add a correction to his listing, or re-list it with the correct date.

"Hi. FYI, the manufacture date you have on the Hummingbird is an error. This guitar appears to have been made in 1976. Gibson is notorious for having issues with their serial numbers over the years, including repeating serial numbers at different times in history, so it is understandable that looking up the serial number in a database would give you the wrong answer. There are a number of features to this guitar that date it to the mid-1970s, including the style of the serial number sticker on the back of the headstock, the shape of the headstock, the inlays and several other things. Hope this is helpful."

I myself dont like those... but thats Just me... Ive had enought of the 70s J45/50s Hummingbirds, Doves, and the dreaded J200s.. they all needed a Stick to hold up the forward X braces.. and they all sounded like Un Plugged Les Pauls.. :unsure:

i've got a 1976 Hummingbird that looks exactly like this guitar (mine's a burst though) and it's a complete turd. +1 to what most everyone else said.

From the pic posted on that auction of the bridge you can see that it's pretty much in need of a neck reset too.

i shudder thinking about the poor person who ends up with it

Except for the block inlays (mine had parallelograms) this is identical to my 1977 Hummingbird with the natural top and nickle tulip tuners. It was a double X braced guitar. What a dog that guitar was! It put me off Gibson acoustics for 25 years.

Archived