Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Neck Profiles

drew365

I'm trying to educate myself about what neck profiles are available on a Les Paul. I'm finding that the only LP's the stores stock have the slim taper 60's neck.

Here's what I think I know: There's three profiles,

50's rounded - which is the chunkiest

59 rounded - which is slightly less chunky

60's slim taper - which is the most prevalent on today's models.

Is this info right, is there something I'm missing.

Also, I seem to gather that the Joe Bonamassa neck is closest to the '59. Is this correct? If it is, his models would probably be the easiest to track down to test drive. Thanks.

There's also a 30/60 which, according to Gibson, is .030 of an inch thicker from front to back then the 60s slim, all the way up the neck. I'm not sure if it's available on LPs, but I've got an ES with a 30/60. The 50s profiles are all bit rounder than the 60s profiles which have the tapered sides.

A comparison based on some measurements - . . . . . . . (Of course everything varies a bit with Gibbies)

Neck Thickness - (avg meaurements taken at nut end of 1st fret)

R8 - - - - - - - .925"

R7 - - - - - - - .920"

R9 - - - - - - - .910"

30/60 - - - - - .8"

60s Slim taper - .765"

SG-Features-50s-Neck-Profile.jpg

Thanks for this. I've taken measurements of all of my current guitars and I'll use this info to compare.

What does the R7, R8, R9 relate to as far as what Gibson would call it in a product description?

Do you think the 30/60 might be the Bonamassa neck. On the JB Studio they give .838" at the first fret and .983" at the 12th

Regarding the JB sig - Gibson lists the JB Studio as having a "rounded, traditional profile", whatever that means - guessing 50s rounded(?). Gibson lists the Custom Shop JB LP as having "traditional 1959 rounded neck profile". You numbers fit into the 50's rounded range below.

The reissue numbers are from a survey done by someone on another forum. Some guitars of each RI were measured and then averaged. They are 50s necks, but are supposedly sized more or less to the relationships they had when originally issued. Here's the info again with some more numbers added I had saved.

Neck Thickness - (avg, meaurements taken at nut end of 1st fret)

R8 - - - - - - - .925"

R7 - - - - - - - .920"

R9 - - - - - - - .910"

50s Early - - - .900" (from Gibson C/S)

50s Rounded - - .870" (from my 2008 SG)

50s Rounded - - .818" (from Gibson C/S)

Asymmetrical - - N/A

30/60 - - - - - .800"

60s Slim taper - .765"

<EDIT>

If anyone has measurement/s of the asymmetrical neck, please post.

Thanks for this. I've taken measurements of all of my current guitars and I'll use this info to compare.

What does the R7, R8, R9 relate to as far as what Gibson would call it in a product description?

Do you think the 30/60 might be the Bonamassa neck. On the JB Studio they give .838" at the first fret and .983" at the 12th

R7 = 1957 Reissue

R8 = 1958 Reissue

R9 = 1959 Reissue

There is also the Assymetrical neck profile on the newer Standards which is thicker on the bass side (low E)and thinner on the treble side (high E)of the neck.

“60's slim taper - which is the most prevalent on today's models”

Statement acknowledged.

Not sure I agree with that.

It seems to me Gibson makes too many 50’s profile necks today.

No I don’t have the count. I like slim guitar necks but can use the 50’s too.

Even the so called 60’s- slim necks aren’t too slim feeling to me.

Have no idea which would be the slimmest.

I just brought home a new standard yesterday, it has the asymmetrical neck and I am digging on it. As I creep up in age the 50's neck has become uncomfortable for me so I've been searching for a more comfortable profile .

Very nice. Congrats. . B)

Next time you change your strings, if you are able, get neck thickness measurement right in front of the nut and post it here. Thanks.

I just brought home a new standard yesterday, it has the asymmetrical neck and I am digging on it. As I creep up in age the 50's neck has become uncomfortable for me so I've been searching for a more comfortable profile .

Well, I've already creep-ed up in age, having turned 60 a few months ago. Do you think I'm making a mistake by looking for a 50's neck. My main guitar is a '10 Strat Am Dlx HSS with a modern C neck, compound radius fretboard. I was looking for something different. I've played a '58 reissue and it felt fine but I didn't get to play it long enough to test fatigue.

My '84 Studio has the 60's neck profile, while my '93 has the 50's neck profile. I actually would love for my '84 to have the thicker neck profile but I still play the crap out of it!

I swear Gibson are all over the show with their designs on certain guitars.

One year has different things from the other without much notification of what has changed.

• 1 year later...

May I resurrect this thread?

I have a question on what Gibson calls the '50s Rounded Neck. I think it's specs have changed. I recently picked up a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional to test out an amp and thought I was holding a custom shop model. The neck was huge. I'm a Fender guy and have stayed away from Gibson's because I can't find one in the non-Historic line with a fat neck.

I still own a late 90s Studio Gem with what was called the 50's Rounded, but that's what Gibson says is on the Traditional and they are certainly totally different feeling necks. I understand all necks are hand shaped and will differ some but these two are night and day.

1997 Les Paul Studio Gem 1st fret .825 12th fret .930

2013 Les Paul Traditional 1st fret .910 12th fret 1.010

The Traditional is a full C or U that fills your hand where as my 90s Studio has a flat section to the profile with the shoulders.

I'm trying to educate myself about what neck profiles are available on a Les Paul. I'm finding that the only LP's the stores stock have the slim taper 60's neck.

Here's what I think I know: There's three profiles,

50's rounded - which is the chunkiest

59 rounded - which is slightly less chunky

60's slim taper - which is the most prevalent on today's models.

Is this info right, is there something I'm missing.

Also, I seem to gather that the Joe Bonamassa neck is closest to the '59. Is this correct? If it is, his models would probably be the easiest to track down to test drive. Thanks.

I think the 70's neck profile is slim at the nut and fatter towards the body.

May I resurrect this thread?

I have a question on what Gibson calls the '50s Rounded Neck. I think it's specs have changed. I recently picked up a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional to test out an amp and thought I was holding a custom shop model. The neck was huge. I'm a Fender guy and have stayed away from Gibson's because I can't find one in the non-Historic line with a fat neck.

I still own a late 90s Studio Gem with what was called the 50's Rounded, but that's what Gibson says is on the Traditional and they are certainly totally different feeling necks. I understand all necks are hand shaped and will differ some but these two are night and day.

1997 Les Paul Studio Gem 1st fret .825 12th fret .930

2013 Les Paul Traditional 1st fret .910 12th fret 1.010

The Traditional is a full C or U that fills your hand where as my 90s Studio has a flat section to the profile with the shoulders.

Gibson shows the '13 Traditional at .900" 1st fret, 1.0" 12th fret, which are pretty much what you posted. That's quite a neck. I'm going to have to find one of these and try it. Thanks, I needed some gas! [biggrin]

You are correct that previous '50's rounded were not this big. I bought an '07 Standard with 50's neck and it measures .806" 1st fret, .985" 12th fret.

Quite honestly, I have found that the neck specs of a guitar should only be used as a guideline. I have one LP that has a 60s slim taper, yet it feels more like a medium 70s neck. I also have a 2000 LP model that has what Gibson calls a '59 asymmetrical slim taper neck. Then my LP custom has a Gibson C neck. Someone told me an R8 has a thicker neck than an early 50s rounded neck. I kinda gave up on trying to keep up with that stuff because the specs are what they are - just a guideline. I'd suspect in theory there are no two necks exactly alike.

Gibson shows the '13 Traditional at .900" 1st fret, 1.0" 12th fret, which are pretty much what you posted. That's quite a neck. I'm going to have to find one of these and try it. Thanks, I needed some gas! [biggrin]

You are correct that previous '50's rounded were not this big. I bought an '07 Standard with 50's neck and it measures .806" 1st fret, .985" 12th fret.

The neck is honking on this thing. I really can't put it down. Couple that with the new 2013 Traditionals having true non weight solid bodies you've got something really special. Or atleast different than anything Gibson has put out for many many years.

I think there's a difference between a 60's and 60's slim taper

My 1999 standard had the perfect 60's slim taper

My 09 Trad has a 60s which is different from my ( which is fatter than slim )

Studio tribute 60's which is ( a bit fatter than the Trad ) different than my

LP Junior special w/60's profile

The junior is definitely the fattest and might sell it because its too fat to be a 60's to me

\But I LOVE it for some odd reason9 Maybe its a slim 50's or 30/60 or something

SO I have at least 3 60's profile necks that are all different

Just sayin'

( 99 was perfect )

Seems Gibson has rounded the beefy "baseball bat" a bit adding to confusion. Also, the necks are hand finished so there's going to be some variance in comparing the actual measurement to the spec, as well as variance between necks of the same model guitar. The chart below is based on collected measurements. There's also the 30/60 neck which is .030 of an inch thicker from nut to body than the 60s slim taper.

Neckshapez.jpg

Archived