Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Neck Profiles

drew365

The neck is honking on this thing. I really can't put it down. Couple that with the new 2013 Traditionals having true non weight solid bodies you've got something really special. Or atleast different than anything Gibson has put out for many many years.

I wish I had a slim neck 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional, but it doesn't exist. I'm not convinced the extra 1/4" on the neck profile contributes much sustain. My 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom is 12 lbs (baby!) and has a 7/8" neck profile at frets 1 and 12. It has great sustain, thus I'm not convinced. I am happy with my 1980 GLP, but I wanted a less expensive guitar that I can take out, that can do the same thing resonance wise as my Gibson LP Custom, but it sadly does not exist. I've tried the Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II at Guitar Center (made for Guitar Center), and it is pretty good, but they did weight relieve that one. I didn't have a scale with me but it probably is 8.5-9.5 lbs. I want to have something I don't care about changing out the pick-ups, electronics, and experiment with. I'm leaning toward thinking I should find another early 80s GLP Custom that has some wear for a decent price, and just start tearing into 'er.

That way I get my 7/8th neck and my nice fat heavy body of at least 11 lbs., then I can toy with different pick-up combinations, but I'm in no hurry. I just filled the gap for a couple of years with a new Gibson Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess instead. Wow! Talk about a Les Paul guitar that will take some time to master. Not weight relieved, tremolo stays in tune, sustains very well, and great playability esp. way up the neck with the cut-away. Alex out-did himself on that one with the two outputs that go into 2 amps, one for piezo and one for magnetic. This is my answer to Stairway to Heaven without two necks. It will be a while to see what I can do on that project with all the electronic possibilities, but I'm excited about that "project". I was fine with the $4,000 price point on that one for all that custom work on the Axcess.

In any case, I found the 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional to have such a fat and slow neck (for me) that I dismissed it. (I was sad because I thought I had found my answer, but no.) Anything fatter than 7/8" is too noticeable. I just am not in the mood to drop $6,000 for a 1960 slim-neck GLP VOS, not be able to take it out for fear of damage or theft, etc. For me, searching for a guitar I like can be a really long a laborious task. I got really lucky on the AL LPA, having the 60's slim neck (actually is modeled after a PRS according to AL interview, piezos and the humbuckers (496R and 498T, I believe) are not muddy. All the complainers about the AL Axcess made me nervous, but I haven't experienced anything but bliss on this guitar. I think some folks are just too heavy handed and get themselves into trouble twisting wrenches. That is why I want a less nice guitar to do that with, but still a slim neck and 10+ lb. frame.

My mission on the less nice guitar for outdoor pleasure will have to wait. I'd love to hear from anyone who is going through this too (maybe it's just me!). I'm doing okay but I'm not done yet.

rrrobert

I've also heard many say that such spec is subjective and there is alot of variation, both in original vintage and in current reproductions marketed as 50's. 60's, and '59.

Every player is different and every player's sensitivity is different, let alone hand size & shape...

There is so much individuality from both different artisans at the factory in the old days and the different factory floors today that the variations fluctuate so much you could possibly take 2 off the assembly line today and they'd feel differently. Much moreso in the old days I would think, but that there are very many exceptions to any of these rules for it to be very accurately comparable... I'm taking into account that every piece of wood can have slightly different grain and density dynamics that make them react a bit differently to the drying, shaping, and finishing steps in the manufacturing process that they can react differently to not only barometric and environmental factors, but their respective adjustments and accoutrements as well...

Clearly my opinion is based upon my understanding from word of mouth by those that have reported on such things as I've personally never had the opportunity to play either a genuine vintage LP or try all the different current variations/specs. I've tried 50's & 60's necks of current models side-by-side in Guitar Center, and to tell the truth I really couldn't tell a difference...

But I like 'em all! [smile]

I can understanding wanting to know more so one can make a more informed choice, but I think it's so subjective that it's simply best to play many and try them and find what you like best and what feels best for oneself personally...

Hell I've bought guitars, I've never tried hands-on, online and both loved 'em and well not so much on others...

But my creed is that I'd like to be able to play any guitar I'm handed so I like a varied array of neck shapes that I play regularly. I'm the same way with guns. I don't want to only be able to shoot custom-made fitted firearms, I want to be able to pick up any gun and be able to shoot accurately and competently...

I'm the same with axes, but yes I do have preferences. Not sure what they are, but I know 'em when I feel 'em... [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

They are all over the place..I don't think I've had two of the same necks on any of the 20 or so Les Paul's I've had. The biggest one I had was on a 70 deluxe..my 73 deluxe is really thin.The smallest thin neck ever was on a 77 artisan. Had a 74 custon with 5/8 nut and real nice small round neck..had a 79 custom with big neck. My 1992 standard that I love and will never sell is medium and round. I had a 2002 custom that was big and terrible...my 69 SG standard is big but I love it. You really have to try it out in person because people don't really describe profiles too well...everything is slim tappered after playing my 69 SG.

Archived