Gibson Brands Forums

rephrased j45 question

chasAK

My last question was long, ambiguous and not easy to answer. So, here is a rephrasing without the ramblings of the thoughts of my brain. Accepting that the golden years of the j45 was early 40s to early 50s are now in a new golden era of similar j45 history?

chasAK

I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of acoustic guitars being built by Bozeman today. I have played many excellent guitars of different models, not just J-45s. A few months ago I bought a J-45 Legend that is absolutely incredible, and I suspect it will only get better with age.

I certainly hope that in 50 years, the Gibson acoustics of today are viewed as something special. One big factor in whether or not that happens, though, is the fact that there are many, many more high quality guitar producers today than there were in the 40s and 50s.

6 months ago or something, someone here started a thread asking if this could be considered the new GOLDEN ERA of acoustic Gibsons. It generated an enthusiastic debate with many intriguing points of views.

I'd still say YES. Far from an expert, I know, but from my perspective they are doin' their best and cleverest at the moment (and have done for quite some time).

My January 2010 J-45 Standard is a good evidence. It was irresistible from the minute I strummed the first chord, but at the time had this strange delay when played fast. It meant it was best fingerpicked and somewhat clumsy below the pick. This has changed. It's much snappier now and answers with more accuracy. The instrument simply is becoming more normal. The projection is second to none, the bass, , , the balance as a whole is splendid – good meat-full mids and soft/clear highs (not distorted as some vintage models). I consider the guitar an ACE in its own right. Muddy it is, but that's a part of its identity. It'll keep that flavor as it grows and comes together during the next 5-10-15 years. Beyond that it'll turn into a playing wonder. . .

I've bought and sold a sick number of Guitars over the past 35 years and my J-45TV is one of best I've owned - love it! Tone and volume in spades and the fit/finish is perfect. Just a killer Guitar. I've owned other Gibson acoustics made in the past 10 years and they have all been excellent Guitars. The Bozeman operation has really dialed in their game.

I have a 1999 J-45 that was made as a custom for Dave's Guitars. It is a very close copy of the 1942 design. I believe that this around the time that Bozeman really started to hit stride in terms of re-creating Gibson's Golden Era, ala the 42s - 50s. This guitar sounds great. I've played a few True Vintages that also knocked me out.

I have a 1999 J-45 that was made as a custom for Dave's Guitars. It is a very close copy of the 1942 design. I believe that this around the time that Bozeman really started to hit stride in terms of re-creating Gibson's Golden Era, ala the 42s - 50s. This guitar sounds great. I've played a few True Vintages that also knocked me out.

Archived