Gibson Brands Forums

your dream guitar?

chasAK

I would consult Ren F. and ask him to create a square shouldered mix between the Hummingbird, the J-45 and the maple back'n'sides Custom Firebird. The choice of wood all his. I would wish for a amber hued sunburst and keep the 3-point dragon-back turtle colored pick-guard without motive. Back and sides dark no matter the material, maybe a thin 'Indian -stripe' down the back. The neck and head would be the regular double parallelogram H-bird version with an alternative homemade sign where the crown is, same size. The tuners either the greenish tulips or white buttons – I'd let him decide and surprise me - it should be his mark. Ordinary rosewood bridge with removeable bone saddle. Pins incl. end-pin/amber horn. Strap-button/black. Bone or water-buffalo horn nut. Modern standard 1,725 nut-width. Fairly low action. The oval label – off white/light brown discrete, but absolutely there. Black letters – Rens autograph in deep green ink. Finally I'd have a little hand-written poem on the underside of the top.

Content – strictly confidential.

I would have Gibson resurrect the spirit, soul, and craftsmanship of the late Jim Hutchins (Kalamazoo, Nashville), and have him build me a perfect replica of a 1948 L-5P (Premiere, it meant "cutaway" in it's day). It would of course be finished in traditional light tobacco sunburst, and be fitted with Grover Imperial tuners.

If I ever found a real one for sale, I might actually (and would need to) consider a second mortgage on the house.

Assuming I could not take the cash and buy a pre-War guitar I would say they already built about the only thing I would want - the Jackson Browne Signature geetar

I've got to agree with this one. When I was on tour with Jackson while doing the current Fretboard Journal cover story, I played Jackson's #1 and #2 original Smecks and his three signature prototypes. Those prototyes (with backs and sides of mahogany, rosewood, and walnut) were among the finest modern guitars that I've had the honor of playing.

A j45 with an adi top that was all stained with a light cherry sun burst. Silver grover tuners and a beautiful ebony neck that had the vine inlays (which would lead to an etching of vines wrapping around the moon on the head stock). The pick guard would be the head of a coyote howling with its neck facing outwards so it looked like its back was arched along the curve of the sound hole. My idea of a dream guitar really seems like it is mostly focused on looks but that might because I really only want a j45 or an j200.

As a side note though I could never bring myself to play this guitar until I had 10-20 more years of lessons. Stumbling through crossroads just wouldn't do it justice.

I would lean toward a J-45 body with rosewood back and sides, adi top, mahogany neck with ebony fretboard unbound with paralleogram markers. Long scale with belly-up bridge. Waverly tuners. All hot-hide glue construction with vintage sunburst finish. Vintage firestripe pickguard. (sounds a lot like a custom AJ, huh?!!!)

I would like a Todays Version of the Style U Harp Guitar and matching Style O .. both with Fixed Pin Bridges.. to go with My Vintage 1920s ones...

Ah, these are guitars I'd love to see. Some years ago I passed on a style 0and still regret it. And, while I prefer teh sound of my Dyer, those style u harp guitars are the coolest. I'll be x-raying one next month.

Been busy and leaving on a hunting trip this Monday (which is much needed for my sanity right now), but here is my custom Gibson dream.

Of course I would have Mr. Ren Ferguson do, or personally over see the work. It would have a j45 legend box with a modern neck like the one on my 45 mc. It would have a compensated bone saddle and a bone nut. I would wait and put in fossilized walrus tusk for pins up here (I like the Alaska connection!). It would have a bat wing pick guard made out of the same material and thickness as the one on my mc. The rose wood fret board would be on the dark side verses light. The twelfth fret would have, "Isa. 45:22" in an italic bold script font instead of the double pearl dots. The tuning head would have an inlay of some kind of a lion and lamb together. I would like to go with the tulip tuning pegs verses the pure white bean pegs but that might be too much of break from tradition. I would not get any electronics on it. I do not play out or record. It would have the standard sunburst vos finish found on the tv models.

chasAK

Been busy and leaving on a hunting trip this Monday (which is much needed for my sanity right now), but here is my custom Gibson dream.

Of course I would have Mr. Ren Ferguson do, or personally over see the work. It would have a j45 legend box with a modern neck like the one on my 45 mc. It would have a compensated bone saddle and a bone nut. I would wait and put in fossilized walrus tusk for pins up here (I like the Alaska connection!). It would have a bat wing pick guard made out of the same material and thickness as the one on my mc. The rose wood fret board would be on the dark side verses light. The twelfth fret would have, "Isa. 45:22" in an italic bold script font instead of the double pearl dots. The tuning head would have an inlay of some kind of a lion and lamb together. I would like to go with the tulip tuning pegs verses the pure white bean pegs but that might be too much of break from tradition. I would not get any electronics on it. I do not play out or record. It would have the standard sunburst vos finish found on the tv models.

chasAK

My, oh my! You've given this alot of thought, huh? Sounds like a very special guitar.

Archived