Gibson Brands Forums

Feedback standards

jnastynebr

I have purchased approx 25 items from ebay in the last 7 years. I have 100% positive feedback rating, always pay immediately with paypal, and have never left anything but positive feedback for a seller. I have been able to resolve any issues directly, and have never opened a case with ebay or paypal.

I made two transactions this month, both of which went smoothly. However, both sellers neglected to leave feedback until after they had received feeback from me first.

Is this a new trend that I just have not observed because of my infrequent use of ebay?

Is this kosher for a seller to do?

I understand that a seller has to protect their reputation from the guy that is in denial that he's no longer a 36 waist, and takes it out on your feed back by saying the Wranglers he bought from you had to have been mislabeled.

But on the flip side, what if you drop $40 on a new dress shirt, and it arrives used? If the seller is less than cooperative, having that feedback hanging over your head puts you in a spot. I'm sure some buyers would be more inclined to eat the $40 than put their perfect rating in jeopardy.

Is there a remedy to the issue?

It doesn't seem very fair to me. If you have a terrible experience with a buyer, and they are unable/unwilling to resolve the issue directly, You should be able to ding them with some negative feedback without the fear of retaliation. If you paid for the item in a timely manner, you shouldn't have to worry about getting negative feedback.

This is probably the last time I use ebay for something new. I would much rather deal with Amazon.

Guest farnsbarns

I agree. The seller is the first person in a position to leave feedback. It really pees me off if they don't leave feedback until I have. I recently wanted to leave some negative feedback but felt I had to leave positive because they hadn't yet left any for me. I only use eBay very rarely and have less than 10 transactions so I cannot afford a negative. This guy sent the wrong item and it was not worth the return postage.

Personally I think feedback should be ghosted until both parties have left their feedback on the transaction. I don't like the idea of getting dinged on my rep just because I may comment about slow shipment etc. Anything new I usually do from web dealers I trust from their site. I've bought mainly RX7 parts from eBay until I sold the car.

What is your threshold for 'not doing business with that guy"? 99%? 95%? 85%?

Knowing that, especially for those power sellers/shoppers, no matter what you do someone will be p.o.ed with you or is simply a plain jerk, at some point someone will dis' you on Ebay. It's a part of doing business. In my opinion of someone has received a couple bad comments, I wouldn't necessarily not bid on an item they are selling.

Is less than perfect, 100%, all that bad?

I'm neither a power shopper, nor power seller. I'd have to ask my kids how to use my PayPal account.

I've bought one thing from eBay before (a pedal) and I can't say I ever want to use eBay again.

The seller said it was in "immaculate condition" and when I got it there were all kinds of chips in the paint, etc. I still left him positive feedback and the guy didn't even leave me any feedback.

The only way I'm using eBay again is for parts for pedals or if I find something really awesome and cheap (unlikely).

Archived