Gibson Brands Forums

Which one?

mickbarb

Hey guys, I'm a bit torn at the moment. I'm buying a sj200 and can't decide on a 2008 Montana gold or a 2009 true vintage AN. They are both good to play and around the same price point. If I ha it my way I'd try an buy both but the wife has put the foot down. I like the look of both and just can't decide. Please help!!

Both are beautiful guitars! You really can't go wrong with either.

I would base my decision first on tone, then on playability. If both guitars come out equal in both of those categories, then I would look at the aesthetics. I have always liked the Montana Gold pickguard. Don't ask me why, but for some reason wheat just looks cool on a guitar. However, I am not so hot on the fretboard inlays and gold tuners on the MG version. Visually, although both are great, I personally would go for the TV. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it completely up to your personal taste.

Deciding between two great guitars is a good problem to have! Good luck.

a quick couple of questions, does the montana gold have a large serial number because the only markings i can find is on the sticker inside saying style - montana gold . number- MG 00150. any ideas when this was made and the bloke is claiming Ron F wouldve worked on it. dont know a lot about gibson serial numbers or how the bloke would know ron may have worked on it. also, what sort of pickup should i have installed? my friend reckons a K & K Western. this will be my first real acoustic and i want to get it right. ill decide which guitar tomorrow. cheers

Its Something you would have to decide... a J200 is a Nice Guitar anyway you look at...

I havent figured out this True Vintage thing though. I thought all Gibsons were suppose to be Top Notch..

My personal taste would be a Rosewood J200.

Ive had the Monarchs, Whitleys, Woods, Centennials, Montana Golds.Sj200 Limited Runs.. heck, Ive even Had Custom Shop Brazilians made from back in the mid 90s.. They were all killer Guitars..

. I can not see you going wrong with any J200..

The Only thing I dont like about the newer ones is the weighed down Pickup system inside.. seems like that should of been a option.. I just bought a j200 yesterday.. Ill yard the P/U out when it arrives..... seems kinda pointless on such a Loud Acoustic Guitar..

Archived