Gibson Brands Forums

Any TOOL fans here?

cam011235

Of course! I love Vicarious.. great song! [thumbup]

Another one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycAByDNZYrA

cool i was figuring there would be a few fans here.. yeah they are an awesome band

theres some great riffs in the pot..looking forward to the new album heard May next year but its only guess work of course

Big fan, like A Perfect Circle as well. Never really got into Puscifer though.

same i am huge tool fan.. dig APC but couldnt get into puscifier however i like ashes divide..

my biggest disappointment was the tapeworm project didnt happen though the song passive is trent renzor and awesome song

Yes I listen to Tool, APC and more recently Fornax Chemica.

But no I don't like Puscifer.

My guitar sound is currently influenced by Adam Jones of Tool and Troy Van Leuween formerly of APC.

they have got awesome tone ..same with billy howerdel.. Troy Van Leuween hes with queens of the stone age now isnt he?

Great band. One of my old groups used to do a mean version of 46 and 2.

I remember we must have been playing it right the few times we did the song for an audience. We were at a house party thrown by another local musician who worked with our drummer. The room emptied out when his band took a break and then filled to capacity when we chose that as the second song of our set. People were so stunned that they'd just heard a group pull off that song that they didn't just stood there with their jaws on the floor at the end of the song. lol

I think what got them was that we managed to recreate the breakdown section of the song. I remember it being quite challenging and took us quite a while to get it down to the point where we felt comfortable playing it in front of people. It was weird because it was basically having the bass play in 4/4 time while the guitars intentionally fell one beat behind each time around until they finally synched up again. Messed up!. :)

Great band. One of my old groups used to do a mean version of 46 and 2.

I remember we must have been playing it right the few times we did the song for an audience. We were at a house party thrown by another local musician who worked with our drummer. The room emptied out when his band took a break and then filled to capacity when we chose that as the second song of our set. People were so stunned that they'd just heard a group pull off that song that they didn't just stood there with their jaws on the floor at the end of the song. lol

I think what got them was that we managed to recreate the breakdown section of the song. I remember it being quite challenging and took us quite a while to get it down to the point where we felt comfortable playing it in front of people. It was weird because it was basically having the bass play in 4/4 time while the guitars intentionally fell one beat behind each time around until they finally synched up again. Messed up!. :)

awesome that would have been great...it is impressive when you see someone pull of a cover of them they often do complex timings and can be deceptively tricky to get right with the timing 46&2 has got a complex timing issue..i will paste a bit from wikipedia on it

The song is mostly in 4/4 time with some sections of 7/8 in between. In the intro, Danny Carey plays 4 measures of 7/8 on his ride cymbal over the rest of the band playing in 4/4, and they all meet up on the downbeat of the 5th measure in 4/4. During the bridge there are 3 measures of 7/8 followed by one measure of 4/4, and a brief polyrhythm of 6/8 over 7 in breakdown solo.

heres a bit about the fibonacci sequence used in lateralus the songs timing is 9/8 8/8 7/8 and the references to spirals are fibonnaci spirals which are produced from that algorithm..they are a metaphor for expansion of consciousness creative outlook etc.. spiral out [thumbup]

the fibonacci sequence is produced by the the sum of the previous 2 values it resembles this 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 it is also great for user names =)

this is from wikipedia

Counting between pauses, the syllables in Maynard's vocals during the verses form the first few Fibonacci numbers, ascending and descending:[3][5]

(1) Black,

(1) then,

(2) white are,

(3) all I see,

(5) in my in·fan·cy,

(8) red and yel·low then came to be,

(5) rea·ching out to me,

(3) lets me see.

(2) There is,

(1) so,

(1) much,

(2) more and

(3) beck·ons me,

(5) to look through to these,

(8) in·fi·nite pos·si·bil·i·ties.

(13) As be·low so a·bove and be·yond I im·ag·ine,

(8) drawn be·yond the lines of rea·son.

(5) Push the en·ve·lope.

(3) Watch it bend.

The Fibonacci sequence shares a relationship with the Golden spiral, which might be what the 'spiral' mentioned several times later in the lyrics is referring to. In fact, the syllables length itself spirals-in and spirals-out on the sequence: ‎1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 8, 5, 3.

Additionally, Keenan begins singing at 1:37 into the song. 1 minute 37 seconds, or 97 seconds, is approximately 1.618 of a full minute. This happens to be the Golden ratio, which is also closely related to the Fibonacci sequence.

Archived