Gibson Brands Forums

Who makes the BEST Blues pedal?

Flight959

Buddy Guy likes the Tube Screamer sometimes. He's real blues....right?

I only use a tube screamer when I want dad rock blues wankery tone. but, you gotta have a sunburst strat into a reissued fender amp. only then, you will achieved enlightenment, and you will have earned your hawaiian shirt with fender logos and fedora may be worn, and you too will be able to make awkward faces that will make people wonder if they should turn their small children away from seeing such things in public...

I only use a tube screamer when I want dad rock blues wankery tone. but, you gotta have a sunburst strat into a reissued fender amp. only then, you will achieved enlightenment, and you will have earned your hawaiian shirt with fender logos and fedora may be worn, and you too will be able to make awkward faces that will make people wonder if they should turn their small children away from seeing such things in public...

Wankery? you throw that word a lot considering you are Wilco and Jack White fanboy, just saying, if there was a wankery and/or "trying too hard" prize...well.

Not hating...just realize that are more styles than what you like out there, learn to appreciate the things you like about stuff you are not the biggest fan of.

Going back to the OP, to me a good blues overdrive would be one that has good single note tone, some overdrives are designed to sound better with chords and some others with single notes, kind of hard to sound good on both accounts but can be done I guess.

Wankery? you throw that word a lot considering you are Wilco and Jack White fanboy, just saying, if there was a wankery and/or "trying too hard" prize...well.

Not hating...just realize that are more styles than what you like out there, learn to appreciate the things you like about stuff you are not the biggest fan of.

Ok, there is a difference.

Nels Cline has ripping solos, I assume the other "wankery" you are implying about Wilco is the weird noise stuff, thats not wankery, thats weird noise stuff

Jack White is borderline wankery, but he doesn't go off on 5 minute solos of playing a pentatonic up and down

I know there are, and I used to be big in the white boy blues wank fests (SRV, Clapton (I was young, give me a break), but anyways what separates white boy blues and Wilco, is Wilco is all about the song. Its not "lets play a I,IV,V and then I'll solo for 10 minutes"

I'm not saying I hate blues, but I don't enjoy it. I don't think you are looking for an explanation, but there is a short one anyways. I'm going to cut it off there, because I just pre-ordered the new Wilco album, and I gotta catch up on my back catalogue, haven't listened to enough live stuff of theirs.

I say we agree to disagree [cool]

The reason some guys play long solos is because they are able and capable and they can do it well, unlike the guys that cannot and make up a philosophy about it, I bet they even get "talking points" from they record companies.

You can make a good G,C,D chord progression or a bad one. The pentatonic scale is nothing to frown upon but it would be if you don't know how to play it well and make a memorable song out of it.

The reason some guys play long solos is because they are able and capable and they can do it well, unlike the guys that cannot and make up a philosophy about it, I bet they even get "talking points" from they record companies.

You can make a good G,C,D chord progression or a bad one. The pentatonic scale is nothing to frown upon but it would be if you don't know how to play it well and make a memorable song out of it.

For me, its always been about the song, and to me, a lot of "blues" isn't about the song its "something to tide the audience over until I can solo". In almost all of Wilco's songs, the weird noise contributes to the song's atmosphere, the one that goes into "noise wankery" for me is Spiders. 10 minutes of cool noise, is just a little too long

And for the record, there are different types and modes of scales other than pentatonic, just sayin

Nobody wants to write songs nowadays, and I mean that. I have played with a good deal of other guitar players, and one guy could shred like no other, solo'd his, mine and your mother's face off, but that's all he could do. When you take it back to the most rudimentary fashions, its all about the song. I don't care how good of a player you are, if you don't have good songs, people won't care. Music nowadays, I believe, is finally starting to embrace that, more of an emphasis on song writing rather than cool solos. I know most of the people on here and MLP think that all modern music is crap, but I don't buy that at all. More and more songs are going solo-less and now have cool instrumental breaks, which I totally dig.

Is it a skewed and biased point of view? Hell yes it is, but its my opinion and I'm entitled to it. As you are to yours.

I mean no disrespect, and I'm not saying you're wrong, we just won't agree on this. Ever. Is it because I'm not "good" enough to solo for 5 minutes, or is it because I CHOOSE not to? I would rather spend the time writing songs and coming up with cool riffs and progressions that some guys spend practicing scales.

The original Marshall metal box Blues Breaker and Guv'nor are great for blues.The MIC plasic case ones are very good too but not quite as good as the British made ones.

Yeah I made a pedal based on the Guv'nor and it sounds awesome for British style blues (like Led Zep and all that). I think a cleaner OD is better for blues, at least the way I think of it. The Guv'nor sounds like a cranked Marshall.

I'd say the best pedal for blues, the way I see it, is a good Tube Screamer. I don't like Tube Screamers but I think they're bluesy. It seems like all the overdrives targeted towards blues are just either Tube Screamer clones or modded Tube Screamers.

Impressive.

Described me nearly perfectly and yet we never met.

Elaborate please. You mean Colorado? Or the Forum?

And, which part of the wankery do you mean?

Both. Dad rock blues players are everywhere!

Bonus points if you have a neatly trimmed goatee

I mean the "watch me play a pentatonic for 5 minutes while making weird faces" wankery. Is there another kind?

Both. Dad rock blues players are everywhere!

Bonus points if you have a neatly trimmed goatee

I mean the "watch me play a pentatonic for 5 minutes while making weird faces" wankery. Is there another kind?

Yes, true about the neatly trimmed goatee. Any time we make time to groom properly gives us bonus points.

On a bad day, any guitar player should have at least 5 min of wankery in them. If you can't, you aren't doing it right.

Archived