Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony fretboard an a natural finish X or V

Murax

I'm planning to buy an Explorer or a Flying V in natural finish just like all the rest of my instruments, but i'd like to have the fretboard in ebony instead of rosewood.

I know only the classic white finish have it.. so what you suggest?

buy the classic white and change the finish in natural, or buy the natural finish with the rosewood fingerboard and swap it to ebony. Which of the two liuther work costs less?

Thank you!

Murax

The problem with stripping a painted V or Explorer, or any painted guitar for that matter, is that you have no idea whats under the paint. You could come up with anything from 3-7 pieces of knotty plank to a beautiful grained board. Changing the fretboard will probly cost more, but if you already have the guitar of choice, that would be the way to go. I dont think the V's come in Natural anyway, unless your planning on an older V98.

You are talking about an expensive undertaking either way you go, and the risks involved are many! Either find a natural Explorer that has an exceptionally dark rosewood board, or buy the white model with ebony and live with the color. The kind of work you want done here will absolutely ruin the resale value anyway......The fretboard on my wine red 2009 LP Studio is so dark, you would almost think it could be ebony ;) but it isn't.

Archived