Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you fit in? (up-date)

daveinspain

I have noticed that the membership has been going up quite rapidly here lately... Judging from the amount of new members in the introduce yourself section every day. Just curious... You don't have to leave your name if you don't want to, you can vote and run if you like.

I just turned 53 last month... Time flies when your having fun!!!!

Edit: actually I'm 55 now but I still fall in the same age group... [biggrin]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so we established the sad fact that pretty much you have to be at least in your 40s to be able to afford a Gibson. I guess they have everything figured out, but you'd think that if they weren't so damn pricey they could sell alot more guitars. Nah - we don't want that - we like the exclusivity.... eusa_snooty.gif

OK' date=' so we established the sad fact that pretty much you have to be at least in your 40s to be able to afford a Gibson. I guess they have everything figured out, but you'd think that if they weren't so damn pricey they could sell alot more guitars. Nah - we don't want that - we like the exclusivity.... eusa_snooty.gif [/quote']

great point. i might add, for the young set with a parent in their 40's. i was at the shop last week and a 12-ish kid w/dad in tow were standing in front of a marshall jcm800 1/2 stack and the dad said "so, this one, huh?". the kid just nodded. "alright," dad said, 'we'll take it." they also left with an LP standard bringing the bill to 4000cdn. yeesh, all it took was a nod.

You can afford one now. Just go get it on credit and work your butt off to pay for it. Is that Lester worth a second job to you?

Want to know why we're in our 40's and buying Lesters? It's when you have finally taken care of the essentials that go along with raising a family and can finally justify to yourself a little gratification for years of working your butt off....

And for the record, it isn't exclusivity. It's "manual labor". The reason Gibson guitars are expensive, AND so freaking awesome, is there is still a large amount of actual human, hands-on labor involved.

No comment on buying your kids LP Studios and Marshall stacks... that will pay it's own "reward" later, methinks.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.... :D

What I meant by exclusivity is that us guys who already have one want to see them remain expensive so we can be an 'elite' bunch or whatever. No matter how much manual labor involved I am thoroughly convinced that a good % of the price you pay is for the name, regardless that they are well made.

I am 47 and dreading another Chicago winter. Its 80 here today, I am closing my pool, cutting the grass and looking forward

to a cold Red Bridge next to the fire tonight with the wife---Kids are gone.

FYI ----Red Bridge is a Glutin free beer. Lucky me I have Celiac disease

What I meant by exclusivity is that us guys who already have one want to see them remain expensive so we can be an 'elite' bunch or whatever

Cool. I appreciate your point. Please exclude me from the above mentioned group. I want as many people as possible to enjoy the feeling of owning a new Les Paul!

Archived