Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you fit in? (up-date)

daveinspain

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No matter how much manual labor involved I am thoroughly convinced that a good % of the price you pay is for the name' date=' regardless that they are well made. [/quote']

Me being the unrepentant capitalist, I think the prices Gibson is asking are not out of line.

You can pay less, and get what???

You can pay more, but why?

Sure, there's some marque value hidden in the price but you can go get a McNaught instead.

I"ve flirted with it for a few years, almost did it before I ordered my PRS. I'll come back to this in a minute....

So, what is a guitar really worth?

Resale is a great indicator, I think we can all agree.

Without wading into the current national financial scamboogery here's something to ponder...

I'm lucky enough (if you wanna call it luck) to be able to afford many more guitars than I currently own.

Only personal strength and inner resolve have kept me from using credit to buy some incredible guitars over the years, at greatly discounted but still heartburn-inducing prices. I've paid cash for all I own and enjoy the comfort that gives me. My most expensive piece was $3,500 with a few more not far from that.

I've passed on smoking deals on used Gibson Custom Shop or vintage stuff, PRS Private Stocks and such.

I didn't need them, and didn't want them bad enough to shoot myself in the wallet.

I've skipped smoking deals on Ebay for the same reason, plus it was sight-unseen.

Problem is, selling a Gibson without losing your butt is hard enough - no matter how rare or collectible.

PRS puts you in a much smaller market, with insanely discriminating buyers. Pricey ones are HARD to sell used.

McNaught makes some breathtakingly beautiful guitars to your every whim and desire, and the price ain't bad, but you will NEVER sell one for what you pay for it.

There are probably a dozen small luthiers in the US that do comparable business, but resale is limited to like 5 people.

Seriously.

No matter how well-made a guitar is, if you're asking $5,000 for it nobody has ever heard of the name, you're SOL.

Gibson is the Gold Standard of electric guitars.

Same goes for their acoustics, though on a much smaller scale.

Their Bluegrass instruments also command a hefty price in the resale market.

Fender makes some cool stuff, but they will never be in the same market.

Resale is good on most of their American stuff, but most are never over $1,000.

I can sell one of my Strats tomorrow for $500, maybe 700 if I give it some time.

I have several Gibsons that would go for 4 or 5 times that in a heartbeat.

Are Gibsons expensive? Sure.

Are they worth it? If resale is your benchmark, absolutely.

Quality is still a concern now and then, only because they are usually so good to begin with.

I'm a Gibson believer, and I put my money on it to prove it.

Okay, so I just turned 40 this past summer. So am I "35 to 40" or am I "40 to 50"?

I picked the lower one beacause, A) it makes me feel younger, and O:) no one else had chosen it yet.

I don't think you'll get too many teens this time of year...but they'll be here in full force come June.

Speaking of which' date=' where [i']is[/i] LS14?

They love giving away Gibsons when you work for them. I'm in a design contest for employees only and the winner will be announced next Friday . I submitted three entries and one of 'em got a pretty good chance of winning . I'd tell ya my idea but then I'd have to kill ya....

42 years old BTW.....

Well every morning when i wake up Im 18 ... that is until I see myself in the bathroom mirror. LOL!! It's then I realize I'm really 48 and not the guy I used to be. I am wiser and more, lets say seasoned, then I was 30 years ago. After years of putting family first and with the kids all in there twenties doin their own thing I decided to reward myself with my first gibby LP. My loving wife even suggested it. In the mid 90's I sold almost all my gear and bought a couple acoustics to teach the kids. After buying the LP I realized its been years since I really rocked out and concentrated on my leads and technique. I feel like a kid again everytime i pick it up.

50. But....

I picked the 50-60 just to bring it up a notch.

I agree with Neo (again).

The resale is there because the name hasn't been allowed to be watered down like Fender. And because the quality has remained there as well. My new ES-339 is a work of art, as well as a tone monster, and gets all the attention at every gig.

Murph.

I agree with Neo (again).

The resale is there because the name hasn't been allowed to be watered down... And because the quality has remained there as well.

Murph.

+1

Only I think Fender has chosen a different demographic, hence their price point. I think having your higher end guitars in the $1-1.5k price range has a direct correlation to their intrinsic resale value.

Cool. I appreciate your point. Please exclude me from the above mentioned group. I want as many people as possible to enjoy the feeling of owning a new Les Paul!

Well, that was my whole point in the first place, if they weren't so pricey more guys could have one. I guess that's what they are trying to do with the $1,400.00 Robots now. Somehow I get the feeling I'm being pegged as someone who doesn't appreciate Gibsons. That's total BS.

My IDs say I'm 62 but I pretty much act like a 16 yr old, which was how old I was when I got my first Gibson, a C-0 classical. I got my current Gibson - an F-25 - when I was 36 and still have it and will never replace it unless, well unless the worst happens.

My IDs say I'm 62 but I pretty much act like a 16 yr old' date=' which was how old I was when I got my first Gibson, a C-0 classical. I got my current Gibson - an F-25 - when I was 36 and still have it and will never replace it unless, well unless the worst happens. [/quote']

Hey Grampa... Why didn't you vote in the over 60 choice? Its the only choice that still has 0%

Archived