Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you fit in? (up-date)

daveinspain

m,

I think I was born at the perfect time for the musical exposure I got- right about the time of Elvis and Buddy Holly. It was only after I got a lot older that I was introduced to the Jazz era music of your generation. While I love most all modern music, I'd rather play the old stuff from the generation just before me.

BTW, m, I apologize if I make you seem older than you are. It sounds like there may only be 10 years difference in our ages.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ziggy...

When I'm playing for "me...."

Kinda a "piano bar" or "elevator music" style of fingerpicking on swing, 50s pop and rock and 60s pop and rock, country and folk. Blues playing tends to be 1920-ish but 50s/60s style folk fingerpicking or sorts of variations of the above. Toss in a little "classical" and toss in occasional stuff like finger style instrumentals of Christmas music (I've been the "organist" for a few Christmas services), and occasional stuff like banging away at some bluegrass. I can flatpick a bit but I prefer fingerpickin, even for electric blues/rock.

I tend to fly solo most of the time. Either instrumental-only or with vocal. If'n I'm playing with others, I try mostly just to hang back and do some sort of rhythmy stuff and be a guitar on the wall and a little bit of vocal/harmony.

Hey, remember "Heart and Soul" that all the girl piano players did in the 50s? Imagine a guitar doing it 'stedda a piano and instead of something like the late 1930s Larry Clinton Orchestra version.

I keep teasing that some day I'll find a venue to put on tight black jeans, a tight black T shirt (I'm lucky in that I think I can still get away with it at a shade over 5-9 and 160), the solidbody, the big tube amp, and bang out "Rumble" with the volume set at 10. <grin> Funny thing is, that sounds like as much fun now as it did 50 years ago.

Bottom line is that I love pickin' and I prefer tunes with melodic values. I wish I could figure fingerings for "Laura," "Harlem Nocturne" and a few others... Hmmm.

m

If the poll lets you vote then you haven't voted yet' date=' if you can't vote it's because you already did... [/quote']

Ah... but you may have responded to the poll without voting, in that case, you may have forgotten you responded without voting and responded again. Or- you may have voted without responding therefore possibly forgetting you voted without responding and thought you should respond again because you didn't before. Now I forgot how old I am...

Ah... but you may have responded to the poll without voting' date=' in that case, you may have forgotten you responded without voting and responded again. Or- you may have voted without responding therefore possibly forgetting you voted without responding and thought you should respond again because you didn't before. Now I forgot how old I am...

[/quote']

I'll respond to that next time around.... If I remember... :-&

m,

While I appreciate the artistic integrity of rap and metal, it's not music that moves me. I really enjoy music with melodic, rhythmic, and chordal complexity and color. These days, jazz does that for me, esp. jazz from the '30s to the '50s.

Bluegrass provides a refreshing break, but I don't have the skill or speed to flatpick like Tony Rice or Doc Watson. I like to play blues and blues/rock cranked as a release, but I enjoy the zen behind playing jazz- Metheny, Wes Montomery, Gershwin, etc. I can really lose myself in that stuff.

LPguitarman:

<grin>

Ziggy: Yeah. But there's a zen to about any kinda music if there's something in it that allows it to become part of your head and rhythms. I won't claim I can do that with a number of types of music.

As for bluegrass flatpicking speed like X and Y... Sheesh... I don't even begin to compare myself to folks like that. Ain't in the same league at all.

As for some of the other stuff... I'll admit to perhaps a batch of laziness in just doin' some stuff I liked from my own "old days" in a style I'm comfortable with and that I'm always trying (sometimes much too hard) to improve.

I dunno. Just an old guy who loves pickin'.

m

...But there's a zen to about any kinda music if there's something in it that allows it to become part of your head and rhythms... I dunno. Just an old guy who loves pickin'...

Yeah... me too...

• 11 months later...

I'm 53 and fighting back against the effects of aging as hard as I can. Seeing my parents, father 88 and mother 85, age is rather sobering. Man, you gotta get all you can out of life.

I'm much younger than they were at this age and thankful for it. The people who grew up in the depression era have a different perspective on life. We sure had it much easier than

they did and the way we utilize our leisure time is a testament to that. 53 and trying to recapture 28.

Archived