Gibson Brands Forums

New String

jrplefty

I'm going to preface this by saying if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to relocate accordingly.

So, for all of you coated string fans and those of you that don't like them (like myself). I tried the new DR Dragon Skin acoustic strings, and I'm very impressed. I've been playing with the Rotosound JumboKing 12's for the past year. I had to switch up to the DR rare phosphor bronze a couple of months ago due to local availability. I was at my local pickin store Friday and decided on a whim to try the new Dragon Skins to see if they did what was claimed.

After having the weekend to play with them and break them, I might actually be a coated convert. They don't feel like other coated strings I have tried (Elixir, Nexus, D'addario). They feel pretty much like a regular phosphor bronze string to me. To my ears they sound just like the DR rare phosphor bronze that they just replaced. They have a really nice balance across the tonal spectrum. The lows are very present and tight. Not boomy or flabby at all. The highs are very present, almost glassy, without being too tinny or shrill.

I strung these up on a Guild F-50R, which has a sitka top with Indian rosewood back and sides, so I can only imagine the similarities the Gibson J200 custom would have with these strings. I'm hoping in the near future to see these in 13's and also in 80/20 so I can put a set on J45 and see how it sings with them.

Just thought I would share my weekend

JRPLefty

I've had a set of Elixir Nano's on my main guit tar for going on 3 years. The coating has been fuzzing up. You gotta look real close to see it. Over the fretting end some areas are uncoated now and tarnishing, but from the 8th fret down they are bright as new. I decided to spring for a new set in the spring, but spring came and went, no new strings. Played my main guit tar this weekend and I don't know why I felt they needed changed. Maybe in the spring. ;)

I've had a set of Elixir Nano's on my main guit tar for going on 3 years. The coating has been fuzzing up. You gotta look real close to see it. Over the fretting end some areas are uncoated now and tarnishing, but from the 8th fret down they are bright as new. I decided to spring for a new set in the spring, but spring came and went, no new strings. Played my main guit tar this weekend and I don't

know why I felt they needed changed. Maybe in the spring. ;)

Bloody hell - 3 years Tommy!! WOW

Matt

When you put new strings on,How many hours of play do you think it takes to get to the best tone that you will get out of them?

On steel and nylon, for me personally; about 4 hours of playing gets them to my ears the best in their tone and also feel under my fingers.

Matt

Okay, guess I agree. Then for how long - in your world - do they stay willin' and able ?

My world is a funny old place! [biggrin]

Well nylon guitar - I would say I have about 40 hours of optimum play before the basses go dull and I notice I have to work a little a bit harder to get louds and softs, with steel strings maybe a little bit less, perhaps 30 hours?

I have three acoustics i use all the time and I restring them all about every two to three weeks. Other guitars like my Gretsch or Gibson electrics about every four months because I don't play them so much.

Matt

My world is a funny old place! [biggrin]

Matt

Yeah, I sense you are not a rock musician, folkie or so. The more interesting is it to hear your take on the topic. Then again I might be wrong. Maybe you frequently swing that Gretsch and Les Paul through frantic electric sessions.

I personally change strings per intuition or before certain tasks. Right now I'm in doubt about my 45 Standard. In the day time it surely could need a fresh set – after midnite it just sounds so together as it is. . .

You are pretty right on there; although I do get to wear my blues and rock hat playing with a friend of mine a few times a year, which is lots of fun. Also, my peaceful music room is often visited by moody angst ridden teenage kids who want to just crank the amp up full and I have to put my mind in their world and become a metal guitarist for the duration of their stay LOL

I am making it sound worse than it really is, it really isn't so bad, I have a soft spot for metal - one of my heroes, the late Randy Rhoads was a heavy metal guitarist. His love of all different kinds of music such as classical helped me find my true passion: Classical Guitar!

Matt

I've had a set of Elixir Nano's on my main guit tar for going on 3 years. The coating has been fuzzing up. You gotta look real close to see it. Over the fretting end some areas are uncoated now and tarnishing, but from the 8th fret down they are bright as new. I decided to spring for a new set in the spring, but spring came and went, no new strings. Played my main guit tar this weekend and I don't know why I felt they needed changed. Maybe in the spring. ;)

Tommy...lol...you are like the guy who changes his underwear and takes a bath every month whether he needs to or not.....lol 3 years??? That has to be a record....lol

Archived