Gibson Brands Forums

Muddy low sound with Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Santanu

Hi,

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, I use a Vox 'Metal' headphone amp and as a storage for the guitar I use Epiphone Les Paul Standard hardcase.

These past few days the sound from the guitar was very clean and uncut tone - I was pretty much had love with it. Last night I put the guitar into the case as the other usual days, today at morning when I take it out from the case, and plugged the Vox amp - it was sounded like very muddy low and distorted - that clear uncut sound wasn't there anymore! This kind of making me worried. I doesn't have much idea about the electric guitar neither here at ours side of world we have any Gibson authorized store too.

Any suggestion perhaps (?)

Thank you.

Hi,

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, I use a Vox 'Metal' headphone amp and as a storage for the guitar I use Epiphone Les Paul Standard hardcase.

These past few days the sound from the guitar was very clean and uncut tone - I was pretty much had love with it. Last night I put the guitar into the case as the other usual days, today at morning when I take it out from the case, and plugged the Vox amp - it was sounded like very muddy low and distorted - that clear uncut sound wasn't there anymore! This kind of making me worried. I doesn't have much idea about the electric guitar neither here at ours side of world we have any Gibson authorized store too.

Any suggestion perhaps (?)

Thank you.

Ah ha !!!!!! Epiphone Les Pauls do NOT like spending the night alone in their case.....Guitars have FEELINGS !!!!! You broke your

guitar's heart !!!!! As such, it lost it's soul, and it's tone will never return !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [crying] :unsure: [scared][sneaky] .....

Welcome to the forum.....Your guitar has two volume and two tone knobs....For the clearest tone, turn these all the way up....

The other problem could be, the battery in your headphone amp died......Also, your guitar has two pickups, the upper bout

switch switches between the two pickups....I'm assuming you are a newbie....(???)..Try these, and come back and ask more

questions..............

• Haha 1

Ah ha !!!!!! Epiphone Les Pauls do NOT like spending the night alone in their case.....Guitars have FEELINGS !!!!! You broke your

guitar's heart !!!!! As such, it lost it's soul, and it's tone will never return !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [crying] :unsure: [scared][sneaky] .....

Welcome to the forum.....Your guitar has two volume and two tone knobs....For the clearest tone, turn these all the way up....

The other problem could be, the battery in your headphone amp died......Also, your guitar has two pickups, the upper bout

switch switches between the two pickups....I'm assuming you are a newbie....(???)..Try these, and come back and ask more

questions..............

Yes, I'm a newbie here.. I almost have no idea what the proper case for my guitar could be - so I purchased the company made one only! No, I did tried changing the batteries of my amp (if they died only I'd be happy) - but it's changed nothing. Btw, what is 'upper bout switch between switches' (?) - sorry I'm really a newbie - and your answer is actually broke my heart too! suggest any help how can I get back my guitar sound! and what was the cause created by the case??

Yes, I'm a newbie here.. I almost have no idea what the proper case for my guitar could be - so I purchased the company made one only! No, I did tried changing the batteries of my amp (if they died only I'd be happy) - but it's changed nothing. Btw, what is 'upper bout switch between switches' (?) - sorry I'm really a newbie - and your answer is actually broke my heart too! suggest any help how can I get back my guitar sound! and what was the cause created by the case??

Your case is fine....I was just joking......The switch switches between the two pickups...When UP, it's on the pickup near the neck..When down, the bridge pickup...

In the middle, both pickups....The "bridge" pickup is "brighter."....And, turn all four knobs "clockwise" to the right, all the way...This will give you the "brightest" tone as well..

Also, check the settings on your little plugin amp.....There are several....See if this helps....If not, ask again....We'll solve this for you........

Your case is fine....I was just joking......The switch switches between the two pickups...When UP, it's on the pickup near the neck..When down, the bridge pickup...

In the middle, both pickups....The "bridge" pickup is "brighter."....And, turn all four knobs "clockwise" to the right, all the way...This will give you the "brightest" tone as well..

Also, check the settings on your little plugin amp.....There are several....See if this helps....If not, ask again....We'll solve this for you........

Ok, I understood the switch you meant - I generally used to make the switch at middle - it used to give me very clear sound. So, I'm just curious, is my guitar is broken ? :( or the amp could be the culprit for the reason !?

most likely its that little amp. there not the greatest thing on the market.

Hmm AMX, could be you're right, and Damian. I was just trying to go a little down with the budget line, this part of the world everything we got needed to be imported, so I had an budget issue, so purchased that one. I hope my guitar is still fine.

Hmm AMX, could be you're right, and Damian. I was just trying to go a little down with the budget line, this part of the world everything we got needed to be imported, so I had an budget issue, so purchased that one. I hope my guitar is still fine.

Hi Santanu, welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch around here, I hope you like the place.

I doubt very much it's the guitar, try turning all the controls up to full as Damian mentioned, then put the 3-way switch in the up position, does it still work, if so, then flip it to the down position, if it still works, then both pickups in your guitar are still working properly and the guitar is probably ok, the problem is more than likely the headphone amp.

BTW: where are you located ???

• Upvote 2

Hi Santanu, welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch around here, I hope you like the place.

I doubt very much it's the guitar, try turning all the controls up to full as Damian mentioned, then put the 3-way switch in the up position, does it still work, if so, then flip it to the down position, if it still works, then both pickups in your guitar are still working properly and the guitar is probably ok, the problem is more than likely the headphone amp.

BTW: where are you located ???

Hello RaSTuS, yes I'm appreciating so much help from different members in so short time - it's really something over my expectation :) thank you all. I live in India. Sadly many instrumental things we required to be imported into. I'll do test as you and Damian proposed, as soon I get back to hope (I'm at office now), I hope they'll work - but I'm not sure what you meant by 'does it still work' - the guitar was sounding muddy in all the switches, and I've tried knobs too (though not as you and Damian mentioned), and the knobs were responding too; but sadly the sound wasn't got cleared as like before. And "I doubt very much it's the guitar" - means you don't feel it's the guitar problem, am I right? sorry, I'm not so good in English either..

What I meant was if the guitar still makes a noise when the switch is used in both the up and down positions, if it does, then both pickups in the guitar are working properly and the guitar is ok.

Yes, I think both side of switches were sound muddy too, and low. I'll go and do a close test too as you and Damian mentioned. Hopefully its not the guitar but the amp only - my guitar is build to kill.

Yes, I think both side of switches were sound muddy too, and low.

That sounds more like an amp problem than a guitar problem. Usually a pickup either works or it doesn't, it won't change sounds over time, it seems to me like the guitar is working fine.

Would tend to agree with others - sounds like you may have

accidentally turned one of the knobs on the Vox - you have

Volume, Gain, and Tone.

The Guitar has a 99.9% chance of being OK from just putting it away,

and the fact you mention it is happening no matter which Pickup you select

leads me back to the VOX.

From a Review of the VOX:

"Absolutely no problems whatsoever in the couple years I've owned it...

Except for a short while when I didn't realize I had the phones plugged

in the wrong jack and didn't know it."

Never know, have to eliminate ALL the things that need to be checked. [biggrin]

EDIT - is the AMP jack that goes into the guitar clean? No goop or foreigm

material on it? Same for your headphone jack.

Would tend to agree with others - sounds like you may have

accidentally turned one of the knobs on the Vox - you have

Volume, Gain, and Tone.

The Guitar has a 99.9% chance of being OK from just putting it away,

and the fact you mention it is happening no matter which Pickup you select

leads me back to the VOX.

From a Review of the VOX:

"Absolutely no problems whatsoever in the couple years I've owned it...

Except for a short while when I didn't realize I had the phones plugged

in the wrong jack and didn't know it."

Never know, have to eliminate ALL the things that need to be checked. [biggrin]

EDIT - is the AMP jack that goes into the guitar clean? No goop or foreigm

material on it? Same for your headphone jack.

You've such a fun id :) thank you for mentioning about the problem. Yes, I've tried changing/rotating all the knobs that comes with the VOX amp - but no use. I'm actually now just tend to believe and praying that, you all people became right. It's the amp not the guitar. Yes, the amp jack goes into the guitar clean, no middle-wire, one side input into the guitar, and one headphone out.

You've such a fun id :) thank you for mentioning about the problem. Yes, I've tried changing/rotating all the knobs that comes with the VOX amp - but no use. I'm actually now just tend to believe and praying that, you all people became right. It's the amp not the guitar. Yes, the amp jack goes into the guitar clean, no middle-wire, one side input into the guitar, and one headphone out.

Well, the only thing I have left - are you able to Plug in to a different

amplifier to test? If guitar sounds "normal" again, it's the VOX.

If guitar Pickups still have same muddy sound, this will lead us back to guitar,

and things like input jack contact with plug in, etc.

Are you able to try this?

"Input Jacks - How to keep them CLEAN" - Really!

http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/300-tip-how-to-clean/

Good luck, keep us updated, please!!!

If guitar Pickups still have same muddy sound, this will lead us back to guitar,

Thank you, for the inputs those you've provide! The articles are helpful there! No, I yet not tried with any other amp, in a fact I've the only amp at present with me. And I also doesn't have #600 grit sandpaper, though hopefully doing the same clean with a clean plain paper or spectacle glass cloth won't create any problem (?) Surely I'll keep you all updated, it's an enormous help from you guys, thank you :)

That is deffinately something I would suggest as well. After reading all the responses I would have to concur that the problem is most likely with your amp. You mentioned that your guitar was imported. Did you order online then? Is there a store near where you live where you can take your guitar and test out the amps they have out on the floor? Next step would be to ask a tech in the store (if they have one) to check it all out for you. I hope you get it all resolved soon, and welcome to the neighborhood.

That is deffinately something I would suggest as well. After reading all the responses I would have to concur that the problem is most likely with your amp. You mentioned that your guitar was imported. Did you order online then? Is there a store near where you live where you can take your guitar and test out the amps they have out on the floor? Next step would be to ask a tech in the store (if they have one) to check it all out for you. I hope you get it all resolved soon, and welcome to the neighborhood.

Hello NTL, yes, I've imported through EBay IN. Yes, we have stores here, this seems now require to take the guitar to them at least to test other amps, and I'm hopeful these only with the amp, it got nasty someway. The guitar is fine. Though I'll do a check as soon I return to home as suggested by other members like Damian and Rastus. Surely I think my guitar switches are okay, including the knob. I'll keep you posted, and thank for creating such neighborhood :)