Gibson Brands Forums

SG shortscale bass re-issue

Rictec

Hello everyone, my first post, nice to meet you all.

I own an SG short scale re-issue bass and I recently changed the strings from the original .045 - .105 gauge strings, which I believe were steel roundwound to Rotosound .040 - .90 steel roundwound. It looks like I made a mistake here as I don't like the sound or the action and I seem to be getting a lot of fret rattle, if you know what I mean.

I am having problems getting replacement strings of the same type and gauge as the originals. I have contacted Gibson USA and apparently they do not make short scale bass strings? So what do they do fit standard length and cut them down, I thought was a big no no.

So as you see I need a bit of advice and guidance, I am a simple soul :-) so please don't get too technical it will only confuse me even more, cheers.

Hello everyone, my first post, nice to meet you all.

I own an SG short scale re-issue bass and I recently changed the strings from the original .045 - .105 gauge strings, which I believe were steel roundwound to Rotosound .040 - .90 steel roundwound. It looks like I made a mistake here as I don't like the sound or the action and I seem to be getting a lot of fret rattle, if you know what I mean.

I am having problems getting replacement strings of the same type and gauge as the originals. I have contacted Gibson USA and apparently they do not make short scale bass strings? So what do they do fit standard length and cut them down, I thought was a big no no.

So as you see I need a bit of advice and guidance, I am a simple soul :-) so please don't get too technical it will only confuse me even more, cheers.

The D'addario EXL 170S Nickel Roundwound is so close to the original strings that comes with the SG, I can not tell the difference, so I belive it is the one Gibson use. they are .045 - .100 short scale, easy to find on the internet.

The D'addario EXL 170S Nickel Roundwound is so close to the original strings that comes with the SG, I can not tell the difference, so I belive it is the one Gibson use. they are .045 - .100 short scale, easy to find on the internet.

Thanks for that I shall try and locate some here in the UK.

I use the same gauge strings on all my basses: .100 - .040 round wounds - long scale. I have never had a problem using long scale strings on a short scale neck. So you don't have to confine yourself to to a limited assortment of short scale strings. The slots in the tuners on the SG are huge - you will have no problem stringing it after cutting off the tapered end of a long scale string. With any string, be sure to put a tight bend (or crimp) in the string before you cut it to length. As 69tele and others have said: if you change the gauge of the strings, you'll have to adjust the neck relief and intonation.

Your rattle may be from the neck arching back due to the lighter guage strings, and less tension on the neck.

Also, the lighter guage strings are going to be floppier and move around more and probably bang against the frets easier.

I think Daddario makes a set that matches the Gibson guages.

If you use the same guage you shouldn't have to do any adjustments to the bass.

Always change strings one at a time so the neck maintains the tension.

Imperial Guitars in new york has a website and they sell strings for good prices.

that's what I use on my shorties, too

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a dramatic change to the bass taking into account the vast difference in string guages. As also posted - the bass will need a complete re-setup to get it playing correctly. Personally, I wouldn't change the strings to such a light guage. The bass was made to use heavier strings like .045-.105s & that's what I would stick with. I've heard that a lot of people change out the bridges to HipShots on the SG basses too.

In a call to Gibson support I was told you can go heavier by quite a bit. I'm going to be trying a set of Rotosound 88s on there. Top is a hefty 115 and Support gave the same reminder about doing a setup to compensate. Also going to change the bridge to a HipShot Supertone Gibson 3 point.

• 2 weeks later...

I had rotosound 88s on my sg bass for quite some time. They are great strings. I really like them. I did have problems intonating the low E on the 3 point bridge, but if you are dropping in a hipshot it shouldn't be an issue.

I have used Pyramid Pure Nickel Rounds in sizes '45-'105 and '40-'100. Great sound, but roundwounds in general are too aggressive for my fingers (in my job i need to wear plastic gloves over several hours a day...)

The intonation was far less a problem as it is with the D'Addario Half Rounds i currently use. BTW: as a workaround, a simple nut of size M5 or similar can be fiddled on the strings showing the problem...

(the hipshot is underways...)

Those roto 88s are FAT 0.65-0.115. They feel substantial. And they sound awesome. One of my band mates sent a video of a festival gig we did last summer when I was rocking them, and I do miss them quite a bit. Thud. The sg bass can definitely handle them, and obviously you will need to make a couple adjustments. The problem is that you cannot get the 3 point bridge's low E saddle out far enough to intonate that 0.115 correctly: I had to flip my saddle backwards and it still was not quite enough, I still felt the need to quickly tune that string +/- to compensate between songs, depending on key. And, you get the silk over the saddle problem with those strings unless you use a spacer. A spacer definitely helps with the intonation issues.

I'm on the TI jazz flats right now, and they are certainly some of the nicest strings around, but often they're feel a little too delicate for me- usually when playing live. Other times, I ******* love them, they're very musical, especially now that they are well broken in. I'm probably going to give d'addario chromes a spin on the sg next time I have the strings off and see how they go. I love them on my 25" super shorty.

Please let me know how the rotos go with that hipshot... I'd consider going back to them one day for sure.

• 7 years later...
On 9/20/2011 at 9:15 PM, Lungimsam said:

Your rattle may be from the neck arching back due to the lighter gauge strings, and less tension on the neck. (add: which means less "relief")

Also, the lighter gauge strings are going to be floppier and move around more and probably bang against the frets easier.

If you use the same gauge you shouldn't have to do any adjustments to the bass.

COMMENT:  See italics... Not necessarily true.  As my luthier pointed out - and I could easily tell after changing from "stock" strings to D'Addario of the same measured gauge and getting a loss of neck relief,  strings striking the lowest frets easily: the differences in the cores of the strings and of the inner wrap may create very different tensions between different brands with the same nominal external gauge. When you change to different strings with the same nominal gauge you may  not have to make any adjustments or you may have to make several.  At minimum, you'll probably have to intonate the new set even if the tension is comparable. I have even changed back and forth between different companies, different gauges and not had large changes in relief become apparent. But always had to intonate the new set, using a Peterson strobe tuner.

i

Archived