Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff's Sonic Thread

Jeff-7

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farnsbarns

Right, decision made, anyone want to buy a 02/03 Marshall TSL 60 head with 1960a 4x12 cab? Just serviced by Marshall factory in UK and found faultless and over spec (clean at 59w output). Mint condition, never even moved.

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just turn this into my thread o' goodies:

The Red Beast

redbeast.jpg

This is the most fantastic delay I've ever used, the modulation is sick.

Oh and picked up a Polytune: $69 bucks new, thought that was a steal.

polytune.jpg

So nice with a quick switch you can go silent and check all of your strings at once.

Also picked up a brass slide as I'd been wanting one for quite a while. Lots of fun!

dat 616.. Nice choice man. Those sound awesome!

delicous fuzz will soda mize the rig soon enough..

Guest farnsbarns

Can anyone tell me the difference in sound between the green back and alnico options on these. I know I gotta go play them both but wondered if anyone might give me some idea of what to expect.

Expect the greenbacks to sound a bit harsher, the difference grows as the alnico blues break in (blues take an enormous amount of breaking in, expect to play a lot at gigging volumes in order to achieve this). Blues are going to be warm and full of chime, lots of sweet mids and highs. It's quite a price jump between the two speakers but the difference is well worth the price. The blues in these have the correct Mueller H1777 cones in them which is correct for the alnico blues of years past, the previous handwired incarnation (Heritage Handwired series) did not have the correct cone in their blues and ended up with a different sound.

Does that mean that the manufacturer is full of it?

Quoted from Celestion:

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

Short answer? Yes. I've been playing mine cranked daily (2-4 hours average) for close to 2 months and they're hitting the sweet spot now.

A lot of people who don't originally have a pair of blues end up with 2 blues, a blue and a greenback, or a blue and a gold. I've heard some good things about any combination you use there (surprisingly a lot of 1 blue 1 gold combos), I'll throw a little extra in on the fuzz so maybe you can work towards getting one. Just make sure the cone stamp reads H1777 when you buy it.

Guest farnsbarns

A lot of people who don't originally have a pair of blues end up with 2 blues, a blue and a greenback, or a blue and a gold. I've heard some good things about any combination you use there (surprisingly a lot of 1 blue 1 gold combos), I'll throw a little extra in on the fuzz so maybe you can work towards getting one. Just make sure the cone stamp reads H1777 when you buy it.

Tell me more!

Tell me more!

I honestly wish I could but I don't have any experience with the mixed pairs, and since golds aren't an available option I have zilch for experience with them. I'm sure some sleuthing in the Vox amp forums or some of the countless Vox user sites could probably shed some light on it. Everything I've heard about it has been extremely topical, I do know golds are like 80-100 bucks cheaper than a blue though.

• 1 month later...

Archived