Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Traditional Plus sent back

I bought my first les paul in 1986. I left and went to heritage because i felt gibson's quality control had lost their passion for putting out quality guitars. Now I'm back. I bought a new Les Paul Traditional Professional Plus ...as gibson calls it. It was from a major online retailer.

Problems: The high e string is way to close to the edge of the fretboard, and it IS a manufacturing defect. I played other Les Pauls in a local shop and none of them displayed the same issues. ANY pull downward and the string was sliding off of the fret, that is a defect, not a player error.

More importantly was the inability to fix a horrible metallic resonance from the high e and the b strings. Also, the b string when struck would set off the low e string resulting in a horrible resonance. Also any slides on the high e and b string resulted in a hollow metallic resonance. Horrible! That is a manufacturers defect. After 25 years of playing and owning over 50 guitars, I know when something is wrong.

I love gibson guitars. I want nothing more then to boast about gibsons. For me, a well built Gibson Les Paul is the greatest thing on earth. Having owned 3 Les Pauls in my 25 years of playing, none of them displayed any of these issues. The scariest to me is the resonance issues. But never the less, it had to be sent back I'm hoping the next one being shipped right now does not have any issues. I must, I feel compelled, that previous posters who have encountered the high e string to close to the edge of the fretboard understand that it is a defect. Either the nut was cut bad, or the binding was rolled to close to the edge of the freboard. One way or another, a player with experience should be able to execute a pull off with relative ease without the string flying off of the fretboard.

I am not trying to slam gibson, some people do that. I am simply sharing what happened to me. As soon as i received the guitar and experienced these issues i turned to google and found a few posts about what i was experiencing. I also took it to a luthier with over 40 years of experience and he was shocked. It is my hopes that this will help others who may experience this as well. Ultimately, I wouldn't pay a single penny for a guitar with these issues, and am hoping this was a fluke. I will post again when the new les paul gets here in a day or two. I am praying it will be a positive experience.

That's a drag. I had to send my new Am Dlx HSS Strat, back because it was damaged. I know how frustrating it is to wait for your new guitar only to find out that instead of enjoying it, you need to put it back in the box and hassle with UPS. I've bought two new guitars from online retailers. You usually save money but take the chance of not getting a good one. They never open the boxes and inspect or do any setup, so it's up to the manufacturer to get it right. Hopefully the second one will be a winner. I got lucky with a natural grain Tele. The grain is beautiful. If I'd had ten to chose from I couldn't have gotten a better one. Good luck

Buying a guitar without being able to look it over and play it is a gamble. Fortunately your retailer apparently has a decent return/exchange policy - always a good thing to know when buying online. Some retailers put returned instruments back into stock, meaning someone else with less knowledge/experience than you may have to deal with the issues you described. Resonance issues can be a difficult to track down. And a Gibson with poorly cut nut is nothing new around here, however the issue you have with the string slot placement might not be an issue for someone else. If you have no other compelling reason/s to keep the guitar, taking advantage of the exchange policy is a good move. Hopefully your replacement is everything you're looking for.

Yeah that sucks and I think it's great you sent it back.

I hope your exchange turns out much better.

I have a 2006 Ice Tea Burst LP Standard which I absolutely LOVE, but it has that "high E string to close to the edge" issue.

It's not that bad though. It's tolerable and I didn't even really notice it until I'd already had the guitar a year or so.

As long as I'm careful I can do pull offs easily without the string sliding over the edge.

I wonder if a new nut could solve the problem.

But I agree it's definitely a defect. And shouldn't occur on a $2000 guitar.

First, thanks for the kind responses. Another member posted a similar issue and was told by some members there was no defect, that it was HIS fault, his technique. Fortunately, with years of experience WE know when something is wrong.

I really, really love the sound and feel of a les paul, nothing comes close, in my opinon. The replacement les paul should be here in the next day or two. I'm praying it's all good. I really hated to send the first one back, cosmetically it was perfect, not a single flaw. But, the e string issue and resonance issue were unacceptable.

dcooper830: A new nut may very well make your guitar much, much better. If i may recommend, check out some other les pauls without the issue and compare the placement of their high e string slot on the nut. IF your high e string slot is off, then a new nut with a correct placement would do wonders. If it's NOT the nut, then it is the binding being rolled to close to the edge of the fingerboard and i don't know if that could be fixed. Really take a good look and compare with other les pauls that don't have e string slippage.

I would love to support my "local" shop ...and be able to test drive the guitar before purhase, but i was able to save a massive amount of money by a online dealer willing to make me a great deal. The dealer took the first les paul back without hesitation and prepaid shipping, then immediately sent out a new les paul when ups entered the les paul return into their system. That is impressive.

I would love to support my "local" shop ...and be able to test drive the guitar before purhase, but i was able to save a massive amount of money by a online dealer willing to make me a great deal. The dealer took the first les paul back without hesitation and prepaid shipping, then immediately sent out a new les paul when ups entered the les paul return into their system. That is impressive.

Sounds like the experience I had with American Musical Supply. They are good to deal with.

Seems that I can't remember a time when conversations about Gibsons had more to do with satisfaction than what needs to be fixed or replaced to make things rite. I used to work for a home builder that had the very same philosophy as Gibson. In the morning we would attend a meeting to talk about how best to spend our resources getting the word out to the public that we were "the quality go to builder". We would then break and resume the meeting after lunch to talk about "Value Engineering" which was their coined slogan for, "how can we strip these houses down or replace components with cheaper products and still convince people to pay the same or more money on their home purchase.

Seems that I can't remember a time when conversations about Gibsons had more to do with satisfaction than what needs to be fixed or replaced to make things rite. I used to work for a home builder that had the very same philosophy as Gibson. In the morning we would attend a meeting to talk about how best to spend our resources getting the word out to the public that we were "the quality go to builder". We would then break and resume the meeting after lunch to talk about "Value Engineering" which was their coined slogan for, "how can we strip these houses down or replace components with cheaper products and still convince people to pay the same or more money on their home purchase.

I believe this is the standard curriculum at Harvard's School of Business now. How to get people to pay more for less.

But, yes I really do agree. Seems you have to play through a few to find one right. I would have a hard time buying a guitar over the phone without inspecting and playing it first. Amplifiers, sure. Especially Mesa's. You know what you're getting. But a guitar?

I hope your return works out well. Please let us know how things turn out.

Hi All,

I read this post when it was originally posted and am not sure if I have a problem with the high E string or not. I have an 08 LP standard which I purchased in mid June of this year. I noticed that the E string would slip over the edge of the fret when pulling off, and also on occasion when I had not landed a chord perfectly (like Open G as an example). So with minimal downward pull on the string it will slip off. Since having read this thread I have been thinking about what to do and whether or not the guitar has an issue or if it is to do with my playing. I am getting back into the guitar after years of none activity. I am no beginner but I am also not an ultra skilled guitarist - yet [smile]

I really love this guitar and have bonded with it and I am reluctant to take it back as I am not sure if the resident luthier where I bought the guitar is any good. I also am not sure about the idea of it being sent back to Gibson and getting a replacement I have never played. These have been the thoughts that have been stopping me, but after reading this I have been paying close attention and I am not sure now whether it is a playing or guitar issue. How can I tell for sure? When I look at the nut it seems to my eye to be cut perfectly and I can't see any issues with the saddle either. Is there a way to tell for sure if/where the issue lies? If it would help I could post some pics but I am not so sure if it would be possible to diagnose anything from a photo.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated, as I said I am really struggling with the idea of taking it back but I feel that I would be doing myself an injustice by not doing so if it does have an issue. [scared]

Thanks

Hi All,

I read this post when it was originally posted and am not sure if I have a problem with the high E string or not. I have an 08 LP standard which I purchased in mid June of this year. I noticed that the E string would slip over the edge of the fret when pulling off, and also on occasion when I had not landed a chord perfectly (like Open G as an example). So with minimal downward pull on the string it will slip off. Since having read this thread I have been thinking about what to do and whether or not the guitar has an issue or if it is to do with my playing. I am getting back into the guitar after years of none activity. I am no beginner but I am also not an ultra skilled guitarist - yet [smile]

I really love this guitar and have bonded with it and I am reluctant to take it back as I am not sure if the resident luthier where I bought the guitar is any good. I also am not sure about the idea of it being sent back to Gibson and getting a replacement I have never played. These have been the thoughts that have been stopping me, but after reading this I have been paying close attention and I am not sure now whether it is a playing or guitar issue. How can I tell for sure? When I look at the nut it seems to my eye to be cut perfectly and I can't see any issues with the saddle either. Is there a way to tell for sure if/where the issue lies? If it would help I could post some pics but I am not so sure if it would be possible to diagnose anything from a photo.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated, as I said I am really struggling with the idea of taking it back but I feel that I would be doing myself an injustice by not doing so if it does have an issue. [scared]

Thanks

Replacing nuts is a very, very minor issue that is one of the easiest jobs a practiced luthier or tech can do. It would not be worth sending the guitar back or replacing it for something so easily fixed.

If it has an issue, it could be a matter of taste or opinion, or it really could be something so far out of whack any one would say it is too far close to the edge. But what really matters is if YOU think it is or not. If you think it would play better for you, there is no reason not to have a new nut put on and cut the way you would like it. The cost should be minimal.

thats why they are cheaper, im sure the online retailers sometimes know a guitar has defects but try to pass it on hoping someone wont notice. I had the same thing with my SG when I first started playing, it had wolf tones on the g string and loss of sustain. Since then I only buy from a Guitar Shop so i can test drive and I am prepaired to travel to find the right guitar as no two guitars are created equal and buying online is like russian roulette. I haggle with he guitar shops anyway and usually get it cheaper although i fell in love with my traditional in store an paid full asking price as i wasnt leaving without it! baked beans on toast for a few months after that!

thats why they are cheaper, im sure the online retailers sometimes know a guitar has defects but try to pass it on hoping someone wont notice. I had the same thing with my SG when I first started playing, it had wolf tones on the g string and loss of sustain. Since then I only buy from a Guitar Shop so i can test drive and I am prepaired to travel to find the right guitar as no two guitars are created equal and buying online is like russian roulette. I haggle with he guitar shops anyway and usually get it cheaper although i fell in love with my traditional in store an paid full asking price as i wasnt leaving without it! baked beans on toast for a few months after that!

Angellus, You seem to be suggesting that online resellers are cheaper as a result of not being able to try before buying when in theory they "should" be cheaper due to having less overheads and potentially having a much wider client-base/reach. A fundamental aspect of any e-commerce business that sells returnable products has to have a solid return policy and relevant supporting structure as a core aspect due to the very nature of its business. They are not always cheaper than purchasing from a retail store although in theory their business model usually suggests this to the end-consumer.

Replacing nuts is a very, very minor issue that is one of the easiest jobs a practiced luthier or tech can do. It would not be worth sending the guitar back or replacing it for something so easily fixed.

If it has an issue, it could be a matter of taste or opinion, or it really could be something so far out of whack any one would say it is too far close to the edge. But what really matters is if YOU think it is or not. If you think it would play better for you, there is no reason not to have a new nut put on and cut the way you would like it. The cost should be minimal.

Thanks Stein. I am thinking that it could be an issue with the guitar but I am not sure. I will probably take it to the store to see what they say about it. I agree though that replacing it outright would not be the approach given that I really like the guitar.

Angellus, You seem to be suggesting that online resellers are cheaper as a result of not being able to try before buying when in theory they "should" be cheaper due to having less overheads and potentially having a much wider client-base/reach. A fundamental aspect of any e-commerce business that sells returnable products has to have a solid return policy and relevant supporting structure as a core aspect due to the very nature of its business. They are not always cheaper than purchasing from a retail store although in theory their business model usually suggests this to the end-consumer.

no thats an assumption of what I am saying. forgive me for not being clear. I am aware of the different overheads of local store vs online retailers, the theory I was throwing out there was, could it be possible that some guitars sold online are due to potential issues preventing them being sold when they are 'taken for a test drive'. I know most online retailers here in the UK also have UK based stores (all of them that I can think of). Yes there are return policies but how many beginner or novice guitarists are there out there that would not neccessarily know that the guitar has issues / potential issues without either comparing two of the same model side by side or prior experience with that type or make of guitar.

I didn't with my SG after only playing for 2 years, 10 years on I repair and modify guitars as a small business. There was a thread on here a couple of days ago where it took a guy from Israel over a year to notice his nut was incorrectly cut due to the top E slipping off the fretboard when he played. Most of us would assume its his technique as how could he have taken a year to come to this conclusion? this is a theory and my oppinion

no thats an assumption of what I am saying. forgive me for not being clear. I am aware of the different overheads of local store vs online retailers, the theory I was throwing out there was, could it be possible that some guitars sold online are due to potential issues preventing them being sold when they are 'taken for a test drive'. I know most online retailers here in the UK also have UK based stores (all of them that I can think of). Yes there are return policies but how many beginner or novice guitarists are there out there that would not neccessarily know that the guitar has issues / potential issues without either comparing two of the same model side by side or prior experience with that type or make of guitar.

I didn't with my SG after only playing for 2 years, 10 years on I repair and modify guitars as a small business. There was a thread on here a couple of days ago where it took a guy from Israel over a year to notice his nut was incorrectly cut due to the top E slipping off the fretboard when he played. Most of us would assume its his technique as how could he have taken a year to come to this conclusion? this is a theory and my oppinion

Yes, I see what you mean. I agree, there is that element of risk when buying on-line, especially when it comes to guitars, you just have to hope you get a got one. It is certainly a disadvantage not being able to try a few examples as you would in a store/s. You would think that purchasing on-line would mostly be cheaper. However, while I have been scouting various websites for my next LP I haven't found one that is selling my current LP (which I bought from a retail store) that is cheaper. I find that strange. [blink] Anyway, I think I will continue buying from a store and for my next one, like you, I will be prepared to travel if needed to find The One.