Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone like 480/488 combo - what music?

Kzin

Hi there, well, i like the standard pickups... I have to mention that i came from a Squier Telecaster Thinline, so the stock pickups in my Sg Standard are WAY better than my old ones in the Tele.

I like specially the 490 in the neck... it sounds FAT and BIG on my SG. Sometimes, on over-driven amps they can get a bit muddy, but i really like the sound.

The 498 in the bridge is a love/hate relationship for me. Sometimes sound weak and thin depending on the configuration of the amp and pedals and specially over a clean channel. But i really love it when i plug the guitar into the Top Boost channel of my VOX AC15C1. That channel over-driven is a good match for the 498 in the SG, it really screams "ROCK".

I play mostly rock and hard-rock with my band, but at home i play almost everything i can and i like.

For sure, there would be more "classic sounding" pickups for my music style, maybe the '57s, but by now, i like my overall sound.

Do you own one? Do you like them?

Regards,

Leo

Not a fan of the 490 series pickups. In the neck they sound muddy and in the bridge they sound ouchy. I am more of a 57 or 57+ kind of guy. I could see where running 490s though a modern rock amp like a Mesa Boogie or new Marshall would be ideal. That just isn't my style.

Do you own one? Do you like them?

Yes, I have a SG standard since some years back. I´ve always been a strat-guy but I think my SG is my favorite guitar. The playability and looks are just insainly good.

I dont realy know If I like the pups or not, I dont realy have much experience with humbuckers. I agree with other who have stated that sometimes they can get sort of an artificial sound to them depending on the amp. They sound great and natural thru my

dual terror though (but so does anything). I rehearsed with my SG and my blackstar ht dual (with sometimes can also sound quite artificial), but I got some realy nice fat ac/dc thing going.

For higher gain 80 type of sound the bridge pup seem to work great.

What´s a top bost channel btw?

Yes, I have a SG standard since some years back. I´ve always been a strat-guy but I think my SG is my favorite guitar. The playability and looks are just insainly good.

I dont realy know If I like the pups or not, I dont realy have much experience with humbuckers. I agree with other who have stated that sometimes they can get sort of an artificial sound to them depending on the amp. They sound great and natural thru my

dual terror though (but so does anything). I rehearsed with my SG and my blackstar ht dual (with sometimes can also sound quite artificial), but I got some realy nice fat ac/dc thing going.

For higher gain 80 type of sound the bridge pup seem to work great.

What´s a top bost channel btw?

"Top Boost" is just the name for the "More gain" channel on some Vox amp models...

http://www.voxamps.com/custom/ac15/

Those of you who like the 490/498 combo in the sg standard, what do you like about them and what music do you play, and what amp/amps are you using?

They're good enough to come stock on the Les Paul Custom with a maple cap.

An all mahogany SG should be able to generate warm tones if you work your volume/tone pots, and amp.

Archived